UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jul 2020, 11:36 pm   #1
Stormin
Diode

Default Panasonic DMR-ES60V connected to a LG43UM7050PLF not playing VHS tapes

I cannot get my VHS/DVD to play VHS tapes. I have tried using a Analogue to digital converter but all I get is a connection but no signal. I have cleaned everything and have checked the capacitors. Is there any way of finding the most likely suspect capacitor.

How do find the cause?
Old 16th Jul 2020, 12:16 am   #2
Kyle__B
Banned

Default Re: Panasonic DMR-ES60V connected to a LG43UM7050PLF not playing VHS tapes

Sorry but your post is unclear.

When you say the tapes don't play, most people understand that the VCR itself doesn't do its mechanical motions of playing the tape. No whirring and clunking sounds coming out of it, no counter moving on its little screen, etc.

But then you start talking about an analogue to digital converter, which is a different thing entirely.
Old 16th Jul 2020, 9:39 am   #3
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Default Re: Panasonic DMR-ES60V connected to a LG43UM7050PLF not playing VHS tapes

I doubt it's a capacitor - they aren't responsible for everything!
Remember the output from the VHS tape isn't relayed to the HDMI socket, just the component and SCART sockets. I'd check that there is an output from those by using an analogue TV. If not it could just be dirty heads. Once you have confirmed this then it's time to bring in the A-D converter.
One step at a time!
Old 16th Jul 2020, 5:50 pm   #4
Paul Stenning
Administrator

The specifications suggest that the TV does have composite video and analogue audio input, which appears to share sockets with component input.

https://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-43um7050plf

If you can set that to composite rather than component mode it would be the best way of connecting the VCR to the TV and wouldn't need any additional boxes.

You would just need a SCART to phono (composite and stereo audio) lead which are still readily available on eBay etc. Make sure you get the right direction, or one that is switchable.

Of course how well a modern 4k TV will handle the somewhat inconsistent composite signal from a typical VCR is another matter. My older LG TV (HD, approx 2012 model) handles it really well though.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 16th Jul 2020, 11:35 pm   #5
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormin View Post
I cannot get my VHS/DVD to play VHS tapes. I have tried using a Analogue to digital converter but all I get is a connection but no signal. I have cleaned everything and have checked the capacitors. Is there any way of finding the most likely suspect capacitor.

How do find the cause?
One reading of the OPs post might be that the machine plays CDs but not tapes through the TV, which would suggest it's not a connection issue. We really need more information.
Old 17th Jul 2020, 2:06 am   #6
Maarten
Dekatron

That would suggest a connection issue as DVDs will play through the HDMI output and VHS tapes won't. The HDMI is connected fine, but the analogue output most likely not.
Old 17th Jul 2020, 2:10 am   #7
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
That would suggest a connection issue as DVDs will play through the HDMI output and VHS tapes won't. The HDMI is connected fine, but the analogue output most likely not.
But would a DVD+VHS player be recent enough to have HDMI?
Old 17th Jul 2020, 9:56 am   #8
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Yes - many were around till quite recently, such as the Panasonic in question and the dreaded Funai Toshiba. It often catches customers out when their new TV won't play their VHS tapes because they're using HDMI instead of SCART
Incidentally in my previous post I incorrectly said component when, as Paul points out, I meant composite.
Old 17th Jul 2020, 10:01 am   #9
Maarten
Dekatron

While I can't find the specs, it would make sense for a luxury dual harddisk + freeview recorder to have HDMI. It was probably released around 2004/2005 while HDMI first appeared around 2003. HDMI would likely only be used for digital sources though, as was the case with RGB or component outputs on older model DVD combis.
Old 17th Jul 2020, 11:21 am   #10
vidjoman
Dekatron

I recently repaired a Panasonic VHS and DVD unit that only played VHS via the Scart socket. It had Freeview recording to VHS or DVD and played both through the scart to a TV but only Dvd output via the HDMI socket.
Old 18th Jul 2020, 11:04 am   #11
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

As Paul has pointed out, why not just use the composite inputs for VHS and the HDMI for the DVD? There would be no improvement in using the A-D converter - if anything it might degrade the picture.
Closed Thread