UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Nov 2007, 2:42 pm   #21
murphyv310
Dekatron

Default Re: Standards converter for "new" sets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicbeesley View Post
Thanks for the reply, - 4 static pages is great for test / demo but not something you'd actually go and use on a daily basis.

Cheers

Dom
You can programme new text pages quite easily with a windows pc why dont you look at RT Russells web site.
Trevor
Old 21st Nov 2007, 8:30 pm   #22
Andy Green
Hexode

Well I would be interested in a teletext insertion widget - I don't think there is an easy way to use Richard Russel's test card gen with live video, at least not without reverse engineering it to some extent!
Following on the 'What if.....' theme of 405 line NTSC, how about 819 Line SECAM or 405/819 line teletext? Kat? Dominic? Trevor et al?
Old 22nd Nov 2007, 4:54 am   #23
arjoll
Dekatron

Has anyone googled "teletext inserter"?

There are a lot of solutions there, although I'm sure the pricing of some of them may put them a little out of reach (e.g. there's one there which consists of an HP Proliant DL360 server with inserter card, or this option for only 2200 euros!).
Old 22nd Nov 2007, 4:01 pm   #24
David_Robinson
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin View Post
The MPU would format the data stream and send it to the FPGA. the FPGA would store the data stream in its internal RAM, serialise it put it on the right lines and add the teletext preamble etc. Also need a small amount of analogue circuitry to insert the text into the video.
Even simpler, use a DAC with built-in teletext insertion facility, e.g. Analog Devices ADV7171 and many others, also many Philips types.
Old 23rd Nov 2007, 12:53 am   #25
dominicbeesley
Octode

ppppenguin: Thanks for the offer of a photocopy I've now sourced a copy of this document online. The BBC fpga programmer is certainly _not_ a joke see: http://www.sprow.co.uk/fpgas/index.htm. The VHDL will be compiled on a modern machine, the electrical interfacing probably will hang out of the backside of a BBC, connected via RS423 to a linux box to download files from my LAN. (My workshop internet access is currently lynx running on linux viewed on a BBC).

murphyv310: The RT Russell thing, yes its great. But I want _useful_ teletext I can get quite bored of 4 static pages of 40x24 really quickly. The gadget I'd like to build would give potentially 1000's of pages downloaded from the net for me to browse at leisure. Also I'd want to be able to overlay this onto any live video source. If I thought I was up to it I'd even think of making it wireless and update itself from t'internet automagically but alas I think that is pushing my schoolboy electronics a bit far.

David_Robinson: The insertion of teletext itself isn't really the question (a few discrete components can do that bit) What I was after was a teletext encoder (sorry badly worded original question). I've now got some documentation and will report back at some point later on progress.

arjoll: <tongue location="cheek">The UK government has decided that videotext is now BAD FOR US - it being a British Invention - it should be denied and forgotten and quickly replaced with something that looks better and shinier and is incabable of delivering news to people who would like to read!</>

Thanks all for the replies. I'll see how I get on now the nights are closing in....might be a while though a very nice fellow forum user donated an old computer and a few bits of test gear so I'm sure I'll get distracted by those for a few evenings....

Dom
Old 23rd Nov 2007, 8:56 am   #26
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicbeesley View Post
ppppenguin: Thanks for the offer of a photocopy I've now sourced a copy of this document online. The BBC fpga programmer is certainly _not_ a joke see: http://www.sprow.co.uk/fpgas/index.htm. The VHDL will be compiled on a modern machine, the electrical interfacing probably will hang out of the backside of a BBC, connected via RS423 to a linux box to download files from my LAN. (My workshop internet access is currently lynx running on linux viewed on a BBC).
If you've got a machine readable copy of the teletext spec could you publish the URL so that we can all see it. It may be a later version than my copy. It will certainly be more legible!

I've looked at the BBC micro project and I just don't see the point. The schematic of the Xilinx Parallel III programming probe has been published and only has a handful of common parts in it. The software to use it is built into all the Xilinx packages. If you can't find the schematic of the Parallel III probe I'll send you a copy. Also that BBC micro project was designed in the days of the 4000 series Xilinx. These are long obsolete and while the programming method (slave serial) is still valid the file sizes have increased by a few orders of magnitude for modern devices. You can get very bored waiting for a program to download to the device.

My current (work) project is using a XC3S1400A and I'll definitely be getting one of the USB programming probes since my Parallel III will be horribly slow for that relatively large device.
Old 23rd Nov 2007, 11:58 pm   #27
dominicbeesley
Octode

Ah,, now how to explain.....the point _is_ the pointless, to use something improbable to acheive the pointless........I'm a masochist! I want it to be difficult!

anyways found the spec at http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~ih/teaching...-spec/spec.doc not sure its that up to date but is probably enough to get going. If yours is more recent (or even different but older) I'd love a peek

Cheers

Dom
Old 24th Nov 2007, 9:40 am   #28
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

That document is the same as the one I've got. Nice to have a decent machine readable copy though strange to save a series of scans as a Word document. I converted it to a PDF which seems more sensible.
Old 23rd Dec 2007, 10:03 pm   #29
gordygreytop
Retired Dormant Member

Just found this link
http://xpcatv.en.alibaba.com/product...l_RNO3003.html
Old 26th Dec 2007, 8:16 pm   #30
Andy Green
Hexode

This is a QUAM modulator for digital TVsignal generation, not really anything that would be of any use in producing pictures for analogue sets,
Closed Thread