UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Feb 2019, 7:38 pm   #61
Ronners
Pentode

Default Re: PYE 15A volume

Thanks See Moss I have a couple of new valves i bought off ebay I will try them tomorrow and also the readings around the ECH 35.
Old 18th Feb 2019, 7:41 am   #62
snowman_al
Octode

Hi Ron,
Off the wall ideas, it is early.

Valves in the wrong place?
Poor connection in the valve socket? Give the V1, V2 and V3 a very slight 'wobble' with the set on. (V3 might be hot so use a cloth.)
You have dislodged something during the repairs? Careful inspection.
The wave change switch has 'dirty' contacts? Contact cleaner and leave to dry before testing.
Turn it upside down and try it, tap gently on the metal cans of L13 and L15 at the same time.
Then back to voltage checks round V1 and V2 especially.

Alan
Old 18th Feb 2019, 10:38 am   #63
Ronners
Pentode

Thanks Alan valves all in correct sockets tried new valve in V1 socket no difference. Valve pins as follows V1 pin 1- 0v, pin 2-0v, pin 3-260v, pin 4-130v, pin 5-2v, pin 6-72v, pin 7-0v, pin 8-2v. Valve 2 pin 1-0v, pin 2-0v, pin 3- noisy when meter attached volts jumping all over from 0 to 600 /1200 ? removed valve tightened socket and sprayed all sockets no difference. pin 4-124v, pin 5-2v, pin 6-240v, pin 7-1v, pin 8-3v. V3 pin 1-0v, pin2-0v, pin 3-240v, pin 4-17v, pin 5-0v pin 6-248v, pin 7-0v, pin 8-29v. Rocked valves and tapped cans no difference.Have to say V2 pin 3 doesn't look right even to a novice. Once again many thanks to you all for your time and patience. Best regards Ron H.
Old 18th Feb 2019, 2:30 pm   #64
Silicon
Nonode

If V2 is conducting there should be a voltage on the cathode (pin8).

If the heater of V2 is not working due to a bad connection, the valve will not conduct and pin 8 will be 0V.

You can often get a crackling sound from the speaker if you touch the grids of the valves with an insulated screwdriver or an insulated test probe.
Old 18th Feb 2019, 2:34 pm   #65
snowman_al
Octode

Interesting results there Ron!

V1 and V3 look right enough.
V2 has a few issues. The difference in the two results suggests some poor connections / poor solder joints.

Pin 3 should be closer to the pin 3 reading of V1. 260 volts ish.
Pin 4 has to be the same reading as pin 4 on V1, they are on the same supply line. So 120 - 130 ish.
Pin 5 and pin 8 are joined so have to read the same. In the first reading neither is correct. But the second reading is closer to normal 2 or 3 volts, but they should be equal...

Have a really good look at everything round V2 next.

Question 1: When you take the readings do you put the meter probe on the solder tags or on the actual valve pins?
Question 2: Remind us, have you ever received a radio station on the set?

Alan

Oh, the very high voltage you see might be a result of that stage oscillating, not what you want really.
Old 18th Feb 2019, 3:00 pm   #66
Ronners
Pentode

Hi Alan will do . i put the meter on the pins of the valve. I did have reception although very low on MW before I blew C19. thaks Ron H.
Old 18th Feb 2019, 4:46 pm   #67
See_Mos
Hexode

As Alan mentioned the high voltage could be V2 oscillating.

This can be due to poor connection at pin 1 or at the metal coating of the valve.

It could also be a bad connection at C12

I just checked mine and the voltages are close to the Trader sheet, which I now have.
These are the important pins:-

V1 pin 3 275
V1 pin 4 100
V1 pin 6 106, mine is 72 but R3 is a bit high
V1 pin 8 2.25 on mine

V2 pin 3 275
V2 pin 4 100
V2 pin 8 2 on mine

V3 pin 3 250
V3 pin 6 275
V3 pin 8 25 on mine

The only capacitors I changed on mine are C12 and C19, C24 and C25 have been replaced but a long time ago.
Old 18th Feb 2019, 6:50 pm   #68
Ronners
Pentode

Thanks for that See Mos. Best regards Ron H.
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 3:02 pm   #69
Ronners
Pentode

Hi everyone sorry for the delay but with the good weather I have been busy with out door jobs. I have tidied up one or two bits on the chassis and taken fresh readings as suggested by See Mos. New readings V1 pin3 270v/pin4 114v/pin6 69v pin8 2v. V2 pin3 270v /pin 4 112v pin 8 3v. V3 pin3 250v pin 6 268v pin8 25v. I can now get reception on all three bands but volume still disappointing compared to my gec. some improvement if I put a coil of cable in the Ariel. I have now acquired a second PYE 15A circa 1945 before I plug it in can anyone tell me if the capacitors can be checked in situ as See Moss only needed to change four and how I go about this. Once again thank you all who have taken time and trouble to help me. Best regards Ron H.
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 4:19 pm   #70
snowman_al
Octode

Glad you have it working now. Some times you have to accept how it is.
(The next step would be to check alignment, but it is easy to make it worse, not better until you know exactly what you are doing... so leave well alone for now.)

You cannot check capacitors 'in circuit'. Best to replace the 4 caps See_Mos refers to before first switch on on your second set.

But even before that, check the transformers and the speaker field coil (L18) for continuity. No point changing anything until you know they are good.
Then everything else as for the first one. You know the test points and volts by heart now!
Alan
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 4:24 pm   #71
See_Mos
Hexode

Nothing much to worry about on this set. It does not have a capacitor across the mains and the output valve grid capacitor does not cause a problem even if it is a little leaky.

The only ones that may cause a problem are the HT electrolytics C24 and C25.

The resistance of the main transformer is about 19 ohms but that only gives an indication of how good it may be.

Others might suggest having a filament light bulb of 100 watts in the mains lead to limit the current but I personally would connect a meter across chassis and C25 and power it up while watching V4 to see if it is stressed. If C24 / C25 or the mains transformer start fizzing then switch off quick

Oh, and don't change anything unless the component has been proved to be at fault

Last edited by See_Mos; 3rd Mar 2019 at 4:30 pm.
Old 3rd Mar 2019, 5:51 pm   #72
Ronners
Pentode

Many thanks See Mos and Alan you have been great patient teachers. All the best Ron H.
Closed Thread