UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jan 2007, 4:33 pm   #1
adibrook
Retired Dormant Member

Default contact mic trigger circuit

I need a circuit to close a connection when a sheet of plywood or other material is struck by an air rifle pellets. I'm screwing around with shooting stuff and getting pictures of the impact again.

I got pretty good results using another technique. I just connected the two wires to a couple of pieces of foil seperated by about 2mm, and put the target (apple) behind this. As the pellet passes through the foil, it closes the circuit momenterely. By the time my laptop processes it and actually takes the frame, the pellet shoudl have hit the apple. However, it didnt work! I UNDERestimated modern electronics. I thought the pellet would travel about 2 meters ish in the time it takes the photo to be taken. But it was surprisengly less, so the bullet didnt even hit the apple when the frame was taken.

The problem with this method is, that the foil ''trigger'' targets work only once, maybe twice. And they are annoying to make.

So, i thought of a completly new method. I will use a sheet of thin plywood with a contact mic stuck to it. When the pelelt strikes the wood, a contact mic stuck to it will pick up the vibration, and trigger the photo. by that time the pellet woudl ahve allredy gone through the wood and hopefully hit the apple.

I can use a headphone epoxied to the wood as a contact mic. My friend does this alot and for musical purpuses it works quiet well.

At the moment i'm thinking that it needs a high gain preamp, either an op-amp or a descrete amp. Of course, distortion doesnt matter here (i aint gonna be playing mozart through it!). Then a diode (possibly) and this connected to the trigger pin of a 555. The output can trigger a FET or bipolar transistor across the contacts.

So...as soon as the pellet hits the wood, the 1st positive pulse from the contact mic is amplified, and triggers the 555 monostable, which triggers a picture to be taken.

Any ideas people?

I'm not sure how sensetive the 555's trigger pin is, but maybe its possible to run it off the mic directly.

Thanks.
Old 25th Jan 2007, 6:01 pm   #2
jmshep

Default Re: contact mic trigger circuit

Hi
Have a look at the following link
http://www.hiviz.com/tools/triggers/triggers2.htm
The circuits are simple but they do work.

Old 26th Jan 2007, 10:42 am   #3
arjoll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by adibrook View Post
At the moment i'm thinking that it needs a high gain preamp, either an op-amp or a descrete amp. Of course, distortion doesnt matter here (i aint gonna be playing mozart through it!). Then a diode (possibly) and this connected to the trigger pin of a 555. The output can trigger a FET or bipolar transistor across the contacts.
Sounds plausable, use the op amp as a comparator, triggering the 555 as a monostable to get the length of pulse you want. Your 555 should be able to drive a relay directly. From memory a 555 triggers on a low pulse (<= 1/3 supply) so you might have to put an inverter in there, say a 4049.

Someone can probably suggest something better, or with a lower chip count though
Old 26th Jan 2007, 1:54 pm   #4
Biggles
Rest in Peace

You may have to play around with mic amp gain levels, as you don't want the circuit to trigger from extraneous noises, i.e. from the air rifle firing. An ultrasonic transducer may be worth trying as the pick up device, or you could experiment with a strain guage bridge circuit, triggered by the flexing of the wood. A cmos version of the 555 may be more sensitive for direct input triggers, but could be slower to respond.

Biggles.
Old 27th Jan 2007, 5:34 pm   #5
adibrook
Retired Dormant Member

I'v dug around and found a HCF4001B quad NOR chip. That should work as an inverter.

I came up with this circuit, but havnt actually built it yet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ook/triggg.gif

The mic will be a normal in-eat type headphone stuck to the sheet of material.

In theory, any noise picke up by the mic will turn into positive and negative pulses. The 20K pot sets the op amps bias, so when the positive pulses are less than the voltage on the wiper, nothign will happen. However, as soon as a positive pulse comes along thats bigger than the voltage on the wiper, the op amp will amplify it by its open loop gain, and the oputput will go to the NOR gate. The NOR gate holds the trigger of the 555 high untill the output of the op-amp reaches logic 1, and then the NOR gate's output goes logic 0, and that triggers the 555. This makes the FET conduct and trigger the camera.

Or have i misunderstood something?

BTW, the two wires that go to the camera, one is connected to the cameras ground, and the other is at 0.65v, as measured by mi AVO minor. I presume 0.65 is logic 1 for the camera's circuitry, and the switch (here repalced with a FET) brings it to logic 0. Would a Jfets on resistance be sufficiantly low to replace a normal push button switch?

Thanks.
Old 29th Jan 2007, 4:26 pm   #6
Merlin
Retired Dormant Member

How about setting up a strong electro magnet near the apple? As the pellet passed through it maybe you could pickup a change in EMF or something- plus your view wouldn't be obscurred...
Old 30th Jan 2007, 12:56 am   #7
adibrook
Retired Dormant Member

The pellet is lead. I'm not sure what effect (if any) lead has on magnets.

However, the good thing about the contact mic idea is that i can allways use a sheet of see thru plastic. That way i can aim at stuff behind it, and not rely of estimating the trajectory.

I'v made some progress tho. It seems that the camera is quiet happy being switched by an ordinerly BC108. Which is familiar to me and i have a plentiful supply of.

So the FET can be replaced by a BC108 in the schematic.
Closed Thread