UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Nov 2016, 2:58 pm   #1
mole42uk
Nonode

Default AR1010 based add-on for my wirelessly?

Hi,
I am pondering the addition of an FM section to my Murphy 188 wireless set, the amplifier and speaker are superb and it would make a grand set for the workshop.

I have an AR1010 single-chip FM radio and I thought, in my foolishness, that a simple mechanical interface to the main tuning control might give me some means of selecting one of the BBC FM stations.

However, it seems the AR1010 needs some sort of digital control, either I2C or SPI which might mean a small single-chip processor to control it. Rather overkill for what I have in mind.

Has anyone had any skirmish with the AR1010 or with another solution to the idea?

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 12th Nov 2016, 3:11 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: AR1010 based add-on for my wirelessly?

Go to Poundland and buy a scanning FM radio. It is controlled by two microswitches, 'scan' and 'reset'. You could connect 'scan' to a microswitch on the tuning cap or tuning scale, so that tuning to the extreme left or right scans to the next station. You could connect 'reset' to the LW position of the wavechange switch. There are many other arrangements you could make.

Alternatively, just plug an external tuner or Freeview box into the gram socket. Good hifi FM tuners can be had for next to nothing nowadays.
Old 13th Nov 2016, 12:41 pm   #3
mole42uk
Nonode

Of course! Why didn't I think of that?

Thanks Paul.

Index:
Old 13th Nov 2016, 4:10 pm   #4
bikerhifinut
Octode

What sort of sound quality would you get from a high quality pantry transmitter, i.e. one with a broad bandwidth. Just a thought and you'd be getting the feel good factor of using your set as a "proper radio".

Just a mad idea.

A.
Old 13th Nov 2016, 6:22 pm   #5
mole42uk
Nonode

Another good thought. It might work well - I mostly listen to R4, or 'The Home Service' as I still call it, so limited bandwidth may not be an issue.

One thing though, what is the legal status of pantry transmitters?

Index:
Old 13th Nov 2016, 6:33 pm   #6
paulsherwin

Any transmitter for the broadcast bands is technically illegal unless CE marked, but the law doesn't distinguish between transmitters, modulators and signal generators. A low powered pantry transmitter which can't be heard outside your property is arguably a modulator rather than a transmitter. In any case, if coverage is restricted to your property then nobody else will be affected by it or even know about it.

Ofcom have better things to do than bother about this stuff unless you cause a serious nuisance.
Closed Thread