UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Dec 2018, 4:39 pm   #1
Profjordan
Triode

Default Fi-Cord 101S - help needed

I have a lovely Ficord 101s in need of a little TLC. All the mechanics are in excellent order but no sound or recording. I fear that the electrolytics may have issues and so will try and test/replace. Equally I’m wondering if there may be some whisker growth in the germanium transistors (at least, I think they’re germanium).

What I would love is some more background info in the machine. There is very little available on the internet. In a perfect world, a data sheet would be fabulous but if the collective brain of Vintage Radio can point me towards any sources of info, I’d be very grateful.

Thanks in anticipation.

Jordan.
Old 7th Dec 2018, 7:32 pm   #2
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Fi-Cord 101S - help needed

This might be something which was sold under more than one name / brand. If so, a few decent images will help those in the know to root out some service information. One Youtube video which I've found (which I am sure you also found yourself) suggests that it was Swiss made and branded Fi-Cord in the UK.
Old 7th Dec 2018, 7:41 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I played around with a few of these in the 1970s. My father's company gave them out to staffers a decade earlier for use as dictating-machines.

They're 'intriguing' - Swiss-watch-style mechanics [the tape-capstan mechanism is gorgeously-logical, with triple contra-rotating flywheels on a common spindle so shaking/twisting wouldn't cause wow or flutter]. The three amplifier transistors are *tiny* things! No bigger than a grain of wheat.

The motor-speed stabiliser is intriguing - two AC153 transistors and a little filament-bulb....

One problem I remember [which possibly accounts for them being retired] was that the three function push-buttons relied for operation on spring-loaded contacts sliding along a printed-circuit-board. Intensive use wore the copper off the PCBs causing intermittent contact.

Also, the few milliwatts of 'playback' through the tiny combined microphone/speaker was hopeless - you need headphones!

I've still got a couple of the beautiful spun-aluminium battery-tubes here. One's got the 3.5mm-jack-socket-fitted-into-the-battery-cap, which was intended to allow a remote-control switch. Perhaps intended to make 'covert' recording easier?
Old 8th Dec 2018, 9:45 am   #4
Profjordan
Triode

Thanks both! The PCB contact point is very interesting. I’ll investigate further. And I’ll also try with some headphones before probing the electronics any further. The onboard mike and speaker is very small. They really are a beautiful piece of engineering. And one of the first devices to have a docking station I believe.

Sirius - a few photos of the machine attached. Very iconic design!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	985C03FD-3867-43DE-B539-4CA01CD0ABB4.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	174174   Click image for larger version

Name:	3088398F-BF6B-49F9-8062-523FFB31AA7E.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	174175   Click image for larger version

Name:	AE01678E-AB80-41D8-80C1-460071A60DC4.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	174176  
Old 9th Dec 2018, 1:18 pm   #5
barretter
Heptode

This was made by Stellavox whose own machines are listed at very high prices on eBay. I have one too but similarly cant get it to go!
Old 9th Dec 2018, 6:50 pm   #6
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

One of the more recent commentators on this related Youtube video:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW6CdWm8g7Y

...mentions that he used to work on them back in the day. I don't know how easy it is to get in touch with other Youtube users (have never tried) but it may be worth trying to get in touch with him to see if he still has any relevant information?

A nice bit of 'Cold War' / 'Mission Impossible' Chic, anyway - seems hardly any bigger than a walkman, which is some achievement.
Old 11th Dec 2018, 8:12 am   #7
Robstan234
Retired Dormant Member

I have a book with circuits in it, will check and attempt to upload it to here, or to HiFiengine if that is not allowed.

Rob.
Old 11th Dec 2018, 8:46 pm   #8
Profjordan
Triode

Rob, that would be wonderful!

Thanks to all for their help. It is much appreciated.

Best,

Jordan.
Old 17th Dec 2018, 4:12 pm   #9
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Fi-Cord 101S - help needed

Hi,
I have one of these with its leather case, mailing envelope and a couple of reels. The buttons have their contacts in little Bakelite 'carriers' fitted into the holes of the operating bars. On mine, a couple of these carriers are broken, so the contacts don't operate correctly.
Hope this helps a little.
Cheers, Pete.