UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Oct 2018, 10:44 pm   #21
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Swarfega as paint stripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBG8JMB View Post
What is an effective stripper to remove enamel/oil base paint from clear perspex that does not attack the Perspex?
What makes you think that there is one; that sounds like quite a big ask.

A product I first mentioned on this forum back in 2014, and again earlier this year, is Wickes's Paint and varnish stripper https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Pain...---1L/p/155054. I am generally a big fan of this stuff and use it all the time. Active constituent is benzyl alcohol, which is not very toxic and not very volatile. It has no smell and a spot of it on my skin does not seem to do anything much.

This stuff is a 'gloopy' liquid and it works in a very time-dependent way. Not enough time and it does not work, too much time and it seems to dry up a bit, but get it right (there's a learning curve) and it really works well in many situations. I've used it as a general problem solver for getting stubborn muck off surfaces and getting sticky labels off stuff.

I think that in the case of plastics, and metals like copper and aluminium, you always need to do a test piece with any stripper you are not familiar with.

B
Old 21st Oct 2018, 12:01 am   #22
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
The best hand cleaner: liquid detergent and sugar.
The best paint stripper: Aircraft paint remover http://www.kleanstrip.com/product/ai...-paint-remover
Sounds rather like Nitromors used to be!
.........O..Chris....O
Old 21st Oct 2018, 9:36 am   #23
stevehertz
Dekatron

Years ago I tried Nitromors (the old, strong stuff) to remove a very thick, clear finish from a Korean electric guitar. Wouldn't touch it, I think it must have been a twin pack epoxy type finish, something like that. I haven't used Aircraft paint remover because it's difficult to get hold of, but it claims to remove epoxy. Not many paint strippers will do that.