UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Mar 2018, 10:47 am   #1
dalekmoore2007
Pentode

Default Modeline and a laptop

I am new to computer graphic's card systems converter idea but its some thing i wanted to see if it was possible with modeline and with pretty much what i have .
I tried first to see if the program could detect my graphics chip 2 out of the 3 lap tops i have worked
They all have a VGA socked so can do dual screen...
After seeing this page
http://www.nostalgiatech.co.uk/Baird%20240%20lines.htm
i made the circuit first 2 picture's
I was not expecting the VGA signals to stop cut out when the monitor was unplugged and this circuit plugged in so it was a bit useless to me till i worked this out .
i needed a way to access the video signals and leave the monitor in place so i have spliced a vga cable to access the signals RGB and HV siganls ..now this worked .
I am using a old 625 line security camera monitor it have vertical and horizontal sync controls so that helps if as i expected they video may be way off 625 line standard ...its some thing to test the vga out put on and modeline program .
I have started here from scratch first day i just plugged in one colour channel to see if any thing could be viewed on the monitor ...rather ruff results yeasterday.
Today i worked out the line frequency must be at double with 2 images showing if that sounds right ..last picture i will add more on next post .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VGA.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	159009   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0817.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	159010   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0830.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	159011   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0850.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	159012   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0885.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	159013  

Old 11th Mar 2018, 10:57 am   #2
dalekmoore2007
Pentode

Default Re: Modeline and a laptop

OK close ups of the results today ,i forgot to add i inserted the horizontal sync reason the pictures better 2 of them they are ..
I tried adjusting modeline to 625 line in the menu but did not seem to do any thing or any frequency changes in the advanced menu ...but screen resolution yes pretty up size of the stuff on the screen only up or down ..no change to line frequency .
wiring wise all i have down so far is use one of the colour channels and insert the horizontal sync pulse with a resistor .
So i have some questions in the next post i will do next if any one knows .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0858.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	159014   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0879.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	159015   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0877.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	159016  
Old 11th Mar 2018, 11:30 am   #3
dalekmoore2007
Pentode

A question is will this circuit simple as it is work its pretty much what i can using now apart from the 2 pins connected to ground ...
Or should i go with the on in the first posting in this thread ?i know there's are that adjusts the sync pulses.
My interest in doing all this is to be able to out put different tv standards from my laptop's video card..
This fellow sort of inspired me viewing he's youtube video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahzdx4KgWBg
I should also point out i am making a multi system tv non standard above 64 line so 128 256 so on 6hz 12.5hz 25hz 50hz 100hz frame rates a work in progress !
So this graphics card tv system converter would come in handy ,before i knew of this and i am still doing it as its finished i had a PMT multi system camera for the video testing for this monitor ..i have just tested in 32 and 64 line so far as i had no monitor to view say 128 line ! this will i hope change all that .
http://www.taswegian.com/NBTV/forum/...hp?f=31&t=2467
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F83IA05HWDRPN0Y.MEDIUM.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	159017   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0788.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	159018   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0804.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	159019   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0805.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	159020   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3691.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	159022  

Old 11th Mar 2018, 12:02 pm   #4
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Hi Harry, I'm flattered that my Youtube video has inspired anyone!

Peter Scott has coaxed his video card to output the old Baird 240 line system. but it looks as if you want to go much lower than that.

I used to operate with 120 line SSTV back in the early 1980s, receiving on a 5FP7 radar CRT, and transmitting with a sampling camera based on a 625 line videcon security camera turned on its side.

I also wrote some Z80 machine code that ran on a ZX81, it was an 8X8 character generator and grayscale generator for 120 line SSTV. The last few lines at the bottom were always grayscale, just like the Robot 400, and sounded very musical to the ear too!

Anyway, I was inspired by Kat Manton, if you look up her posting history on the forum you will see she was doing the Modeline stuff with Linux over ten years ago and called the project FoTH, Fools on the Hill, which is a homage to the pioneers at the BBC in 1936.

Can you post the hardware details of laptops you are using particularly the graphics chipsets
Old 11th Mar 2018, 1:18 pm   #5
dalekmoore2007
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
Hi Harry, I'm flattered that my Youtube video has inspired anyone!
Hi nice to meet ya ...Yes i loved the video i didn't know you could do this with a pc card till your video ! so giving it a go .

Quote:
Peter Scott has coaxed his video card to output the old Baird 240 line system. but it looks as if you want to go much lower than that.
For a start since i have a working 625 line monitor it would be a good first test if i could get it going but yes i would be going lower and all over the place really ! main thing stopping most people playing with television after 64 line and up to 405 is lack of a video signal for testing .

Quote:
I used to operate with 120 line SSTV back in the early 1980s, receiving on a 5FP7 radar CRT, and transmitting with a sampling camera based on a 625 line videcon security camera turned on its side.
We still love the classic SSTV on the NBTV forum i made similar monitor The Deep image i called it a year or 2 back .
http://www.taswegian.com/NBTV/forum/viewforum.php?f=19
I also interested in the vidicon camera idea ,i am making a vidicon camera after i finish my multi system monitor ..i also have a PMT flying spot classic SSTV camera on my to do list ...a lot more fun than modern micro electronics..i like classic 60's 70s electronics ...i would not have a clue how stuff works these days .

Quote:
I also wrote some Z80 machine code that ran on a ZX81, it was an 8X8 character generator and grayscale generator for 120 line SSTV. The last few lines at the bottom were always grayscale, just like the Robot 400, and sounded very musical to the ear too!
OH yes i think i know that sound its the VIS code we were trying to find a classic SSTV signal without the code a while back there's very little that ever made a prerobot 8 sec sstv signal .
I made a mechanical 8 sec SSTV a while back rather like vintage SSTV !
http://www.taswegian.com/NBTV/forum/...lit=sstv+steps
Something of interest coming up Steve Anderson is making a SSTV and NBTV to 625 line converter on the nbtv forum he's just moved so getting back to working on the project ..

Quote:
Anyway, I was inspired by Kat Manton, if you look up her posting history on the forum you will see she was doing the Modeline stuff with Linux over ten years ago and called the project FoTH, Fools on the Hill, which is a homage to the pioneers at the BBC in 1936.
I read a little bit trying to pick up information and i read she had done this amazing and the FOTH i didn't know what that was about as it was mentioned in some postings ...now i know
Great work indeed !

Quote:
Can you post the hardware details of laptops you are using particularly the graphics chipsets
The others in the shed at the moment but this one also works its a Toshiba satellite pro L300..i will have a look tomorrow what the other is it is a older laptop but its the one i am experimenting with in those last postings .
i will see if i can track down what graphic chips they use .or do you just need what modeline uses with them in the menu ?
Harry
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1070.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	159038   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1073.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	159039   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050016.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	159040   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050024.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	159041   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen 00002.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	159042  

Old 12th Mar 2018, 6:41 am   #6
dalekmoore2007
Pentode

Graham i had a look at the Dell inspiron PP20L the main lap top i am experimenting with modeline screen grab of its settings picture below ...i am not sure if that's enough information on the graphics chip used .
I pretty much just want Composite video ,i don't need an RF modulator .
Not many vintage 405 line sets in Australia,i am sure there's some but can't say i have seen one .
There were tests in the late 1940's Sydney and Melbourne one did 405 line the other 625 line and they went with 625 line in 1956.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen 00000.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	159085  
Closed Thread