UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Sep 2007, 1:17 pm   #1
repairman 1234
Retired Dormant Member

Default Old ultrasonic remote sets

Hi All,
Was just thinking of an old ultrasonic remote set my Grandparents used to own. It was, I think, a Telefunken, but it may have been an Ultravox.
The main feature I can remember was the two button remote, which was called a Telecommander and had a large logo (similar to a Mercedes car sign) with each of the three segments red, green and blue. Changing channel had to be done in sequence, as did vol ..level 1, 2, 3, mute and all this could also be done by shaking a bunch of keys, many hours of fun!! Just wondered if anyone can remember these old monsters (I think it was a 26" valve set)
Chris (RM1234)

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 11th Jul 2008 at 7:57 am. Reason: S&P
Old 16th Sep 2007, 2:19 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Old ultra sonic remote set

Yes I remember them as, no doubt, will many other members.

Those ultrasonic remotes could be amusing as well as a nuisance. Around 1980 I bought a Ferguson TV with this type of remote control. If the telephone rang (a 746) the TV's volume would increase with each ring, for example.

I also learnt how to change channels just by doing a shrill whistle. Clapping my hands loudly would sometimes cause the TV to switch itself off (you had to manually switch it on, but you could switch it off via the remote control).

How audible, as opposed to ultrasonic, sounds such as a whistle or a telephone bell managed to do this I just don't know. I guess there must have been some very high pitched tones there somewhere.
Old 16th Sep 2007, 2:48 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren-uk View Post
How audible, as opposed to ultrasonic, sounds such as a whistle or a telephone bell managed to do this I just don't know. I guess there must have been some very high pitched tones there somewhere.
Exactly. The sound a bell produces is rich in harmonics.
Old 16th Sep 2007, 8:27 pm   #4
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

We use to have a lot of these ultra sonic r/c sets out on rental with Radio Rentals. We use to get problems with random channel change caused by squeaky door hinges, cured by a smqall spray of WD40, and dogs with those chain collars. With the latter understandably we did not try the WD40 treatment as both dogs and owners were not to keen on this fix.
Old 17th Sep 2007, 10:50 pm   #5
FERNSEH
Dekatron

An interesting TV set which employed an ultra-sonic remote control system was the 23" HMV model 1920 of 1961.
The remote control transmitter sent a signal of 45Kc/s. The signal was picked up by the receiver microphone and was amplified by a PCL84 triode-pentode.
The motorised tuner could be pre-set to the required TV channels plus a position for "off". When the off position was selected a delay of 15 seconds was allowed before set was switched off, the delay permitted the viewer to change his mind and go to another channel.

The TV chassis was the 405 only Thorn 700 series. The CRT was the twin-panel type 23SP4 made by Sylvania. This very upmarket set also featured an FM tuner. No facilities for conversion to 405/625 operation.

Information for this set can be found in the 1961-2 Newnes radio and servicing book.
Has anyone come across this set? I've been on the look out for one for many years. I doubt if one will ever turn up.

DFWB
Old 19th Sep 2007, 10:56 am   #6
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

There is also a similar thread but on the subject of photoelectric remote controls here.
Old 22nd Sep 2007, 9:22 pm   #7
Racalfanatic
Retired Dormant Member

My best mate's parents had an Autovox TV with an ultrasonic remote control which had two buttons on it. They used it for about 8 years. The 26" tube was absolutely knackered by then. I remember it was an American set with a Westinghouse tube. It had a "Tint" control too.
Old 22nd Sep 2007, 11:37 pm   #8
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Certain round CRT RCA colour TV sets had ultrasonic remote control systems.
Three late production CTC7 models of 1958/9 employed a very advanced ultrasonic system which offered a channel stepper, fine tuning, volume up and down along with variable control of brightness, colour and tint. The set could be switched off by the remote control. I'm not sure if the set could be switched on again by the remote control.

The remote control handset type CRK1A employed one 2N408 transistor and had a fourteen button keypad.

The complex remote control receiver employed eight valves plus a 6X4 HT rectifier. A single motor controlled all the functions by means of an assembly which had seven clutches.

Some RCA CTC9/10/11 receivers of 1959 on were offered with a less complex ultrasonic remote control system.

DFWB.
Old 23rd Sep 2007, 10:24 am   #9
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

There were some very special American remote controls in the fifties - at least there were in the film 'Pleasantville'!
Glyn
Closed Thread