UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 19th Sep 2006, 11:43 am   #1
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Argosy radiogram.

How about this beauty? It is a 1960s Argosy Radiogram. It may have the appearance of a stereogram but in fact it is a simple five valve MW/LW receiver.
The chassis was made by Ace radio, a company acquired by STC in the early sixties along with the RGD-Regentone-Argosy group.
The all Mazda valve line-up is: 6C12/ECH81, 6F18/EF89, 6LD13/EBC81, 6P15/EL84. The rectifier is an EZ80.

What socio-economic member of 1960s society would have bought this set?
Argosy was a furniture shop and mail order brand, RGD was sold to proper dealerships and Regentone? I'm not sure about that brand, perhaps Regentone was sold in multiple stores.
Perhaps the Argosy radiogram would have been bought by the 1960s equivalent of the Chavs of today.

DFWB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AgosyRG1.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	5523   Click image for larger version

Name:	AgosyRG2.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	5524   Click image for larger version

Name:	AgosyRG3.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	5525  
Old 19th Sep 2006, 1:22 pm   #2
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Argosy radiogram.

Anyone who could afford the HP [hire purchase ie monthly payments] probaly. What Chavs? Society wasn't rich enough for stupidity yet. If you didn't have much cash you probaly had an older radiogram or new fangled Dansette type player. If you were more upmarket a top quality Radiogram [better than this radio only unit] was still an option]. I remember taking my copy of "Beatles For Sale" to play it on a friends father's new RG [from the COOP] so we could marvel at the deep basas response and enhaced treble. Someone elses dad had a swedish import RG with a Tandberg RtoR deck as a luxury addition. Even though we didn't find it at all "trendy" we did marvel at the sound-and the expenditure! The concept of Hi Fi For all was still a long way away. Dave
Old 19th Sep 2006, 1:23 pm   #3
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

sorry-meant to say "mono only" Dave
Old 19th Sep 2006, 1:27 pm   #4
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Even such a lowly piece of equipment like this deserves better than what usually happens to them - a speaker, valves, mains transformer and UA14 in the junkbox.

I think the Regentones were sold in many run-of-the mill electrical and furniture shops - most of the designs were unique to them, at least the earlier TV and radio chassis.
Old 19th Sep 2006, 4:38 pm   #5
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Phelan View Post
Even such a lowly piece of equipment like this deserves better than what usually happens to them - a speaker, valves, mains transformer and UA14 in the junkbox.
That's why I intend to keep this radiogram, I will it restore back to original condition. First, I must find a set of four cream coloured control knobs.

The radio performs very well on both wavebands. As mentioned before, the chassis was made by Ace radio. Does any forum member know anything about the company? Did Ace ever make TV sets?

DFWB.
Old 19th Sep 2006, 7:00 pm   #6
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Hello DFWB,
Yes that Argosy gram is so typical of its period and the market it was aimed at. There have always been 'Chav' types and the general theme probably started around the late 50's. They were termed among other names 'Flash Harry's' Almost as if a switch had been turned, sometime in 1958, style and design changed from the rather plain pre war styles to the 'shocking' contemporary styles of the 'New Elizabethan age'. It had started in 1951 with revolutionary designs on display at the Festival of Britain but did not take hold until the late 50's. Sets such as the K.B. Royal Star, Philco 1000 to Codenta's, Ferguson 406T, HMV version of the Ferguson Flight 546T [Pink cabinet] many Sobell designs finishing abruptly with the Ultra Burmuda range in 1960. The ultimate 'Chav' television complete with red leatherlook cabinet.
There have always been [and thank goodness for the ringing tills] people that want to own the latest 'must have' designs at all cost regardless as to bad taste. [Plasma t.v.'s come to mind]There was a very high level of 'moonlight flitting' in the 50's with unpaid goods on H.P. and even as late as the early 70's I lost out to these types.
As a young lad in 1958 we had a very flashy family living a few doors down. She was known as 'BLONDIE' by all the street for obvious reasons. The young lady concerned drove a Vauxhall Cresta and the entire house was filled with all the trendy gear of the time. My Grandad from the north told me she was 'no bluudy good'......Probably quite unfair but I discovered later he was correct... She would have been the typical 'Chav' of today!
I also have an Argosy gram. Its from a slightly earlier period but is well constructed. It will have to go soon due to space needed. I will offer it to a good home soon on this forum. Regards John
Closed Thread