UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Sep 2007, 11:25 am   #1
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default G&E Bradley Multimeter, Electronic, Type CT471: Battery Details, Anyone?

I was given this electronic test-meter several years ago, complete with a full set of RF probes. Outwardly it is in a rather battered state, but it's quite tidy inside. The battery cover is missing, and it looks to have been fitted with some sort of 12V pack, the only means of contact to the meter being two recessed holes in the underside of the casing, presumably to match up to the battery contacts.

Are battery packs still available, or will I have to modify the arrangement to suit what's currently around? I don't wish to spend shedloads of money on a battery either!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 7th Sep 2007, 2:11 pm   #2
Top Cap
Octode

Default Re: G&E Bradley Multimeter, Electronic, Type CT471: Battery Details, Anyone?

Hi Russell, the following link suggests that 3 D size cells are used with an option for an external power pack.

http://www.recelectronics.demon.co.uk/ct471.htm

Les
Old 7th Sep 2007, 2:12 pm   #3
wave solder
Hexode

Default Re: G&E Bradley Multimeter, Electronic, Type CT471: Battery Details, Anyone?

There is some info about these meters on this link:-

http://www.richardsradios.co.uk/ct471.html

Last edited by wave solder; 7th Sep 2007 at 2:24 pm.
Old 7th Sep 2007, 2:51 pm   #4
batterymaker1
Heptode

I found a link to a website showing the unit, but no joy about battery data.

He might be able to give you more info:

http://www.richardsradios.co.uk/ct471.html
Old 7th Sep 2007, 3:00 pm   #5
batterymaker1
Heptode

LOL!! THREE FOR THREE!!
Old 7th Sep 2007, 3:30 pm   #6
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Thanks for the replies, peeps!

I telephoned Birkett's at Lincoln (should've thought about that in the first place!) and the man there tells me that the meter takes 3 x 'D'-Cells and runs off 4.5V. I got confused into thinking it was 12V. It seems the 'D'-cells fit in a battery pack, which I don't have, so I shall knock something up to suit.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 7th Sep 2007, 8:25 pm   #7
Brased
Hexode

The battery pack is simply a holder for three D cells with two contacts to connect with a pair of contacts within the battery compartment of the instrument - see photos below. It sounds as if these two contacts may also be missing on your CT471C? There's no reason why you shouldn't just use a holder for three series connected D cells, availably cheaply from Rapid and no doubt other suppliers, and hard wire this to the instrument.

It is a useful meter. Good luck with it.

Edward
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CT471bhe.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	12130   Click image for larger version

Name:	CT471bhf.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	12131  
Old 7th Sep 2007, 8:47 pm   #8
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brased View Post
The battery pack is simply a holder for three D cells with two contacts to connect with a pair of contacts within the battery compartment of the instrument - see photos below. It sounds as if these two contacts may also be missing on your CT471C? There's no reason why you shouldn't just use a holder for three series connected D cells, availably cheaply from Rapid and no doubt other suppliers, and hard wire this to the instrument.

It is a useful meter. Good luck with it.

Edward
Well, I've made a start and soldered wires onto the internal spring contacts, leading them out through the holes into the battery chamber. I connected the meter to a PSU set to 4.5V and switched it on. In 'battery test' mode (as per instructions), the needle reaches about 1/3 FSD. It should (I think!) reach past the 'replace battery' mark about 2/3 FSD.

The Ohms won't zero, and the needle vibrates slightly at about 7/8 FSD, as if a small AC component is present. Same on DC volts.

I'm going to have fun with this...!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 7th Sep 2007, 10:05 pm   #9
Brased
Hexode

My battery pack (3 alkaline cells) measures at 4.66V and the 'Check Batt' switch position gives a deflection of 10.4 on the top scale (fsd = 12). Pass is about 7 on this scale.

Edward
Old 7th Sep 2007, 10:13 pm   #10
wave solder
Hexode

If you are running the meter off of a psu, the oscillation of the needle may be caused by instability due to the leads from the power supply, try putting a 10-47uf capacitor across the battery terminals and see if the needle settles down.
Closed Thread