UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 20th May 2018, 12:35 am   #1
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Ferranti Model 54 synchronous electric clock (1934)

Just a quick mention of what is now my third Ferranti clock. The movement needed very little attention, other than lubricating the rotor bearings, cleaning the dial and bezel, and fitting a new mains lead.

The case however took up a few evenings. It appeared to have shrunk, to the extent that the movement was jammed pretty tight inside the solid wood case, which had also split at its thinnest point at the bottom. I removed the base, dribbled PVA woodworking adhesive along the length of the crack, clamped it up tight and left it to set. The crack was still visible at the front, so this was concealed with a wax crayon of appropriate colour. It was then necessary to open out the circular hole using a small rotary sander to allow the movement to fit freely. A coat of scratch remover followed by wax polish brought the case up to a pleasant sheen.

This clock is fitted with a seconds hand, and since setting it going an hour ago it has gained three seconds! I'll be able to keep an eye on the mains frequency from now on.

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7618.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	163174  

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 21st May 2018, 11:41 am   #2
PaulR
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferranti Model 54 synchronous electric clock (1934)

Very nice. I love the simple elegance of these clocks.

I have a rectangular one which is taller than it is wide if that makes sense. When I redecorate the living room I am going to give it a dedicated clock socket over the mantlepiece
Old 22nd May 2018, 10:40 am   #3
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Thanks, Paul! My wife has called a halt to the growing clock population, despite their attractive appearance, so I have found a new home for this at the Black Country Living Museum.

I well remember dedicated wall clock mains sockets. I grew up in a house built in 1956 which had clock sockets on the living room chimney breast and also in the kitchen. You don't see them at all nowadays.

Old 25th May 2018, 7:33 pm   #4
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Our son Stephen (aged 33) came round on Wednesday and immediately admired this clock. I was amazed - 'young' people frequently don't appreciate 'old' stuff - but he clearly has better taste than I gave him credit for. So the old Ferranti now has a new owner, and this thread can be closed.

Closed Thread