UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 5th May 2018, 1:50 am   #21
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: Neon signs etc.

For those interested in making high voltage power supplies from ignition coils, to run neon tubes or other applications there is a part made in the UK which is wonderful/helpful for the application.

It is the Boyer Bransden KIT00069. Which is a small module that contains the output transistor, driver transistor and some protection to drive ignition coils. It has two LED's on it too, that show it is powered and driven by a switching input. (It was intended as a buffer amplifier for the usual Kettering contact breaker). I normally don't get into product promotion, but I have used one of these modules for over 30 years now, and I have incorporated them into all sorts of workshop test gear using ignition coils & never had a failure.
The link is here:

http://www.boyerbransden.com/IDunits.html

I have also attached a photo of one being driven by a 555 oscillator and a driver transistor for a workshop device to replicate the drive the coil would receive in a V8 engine application, it is just a 33Hz to 533Hz oscillator. This would also be fine for running neon tubes.

So a module like the KIT00069 can save a lot of headaches driving ign coils because it is sturdy and reliable and made for the harsh conditions of an engine compartment too. Of hand the drive circuit (transistor driven by the 555) just has to sink about 70mA to switch it (equivalent to contact closed).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boyer.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	162272  
Old 5th May 2018, 8:21 am   #22
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argus25 View Post
I have also attached a photo of one being driven by a 555 oscillator and a driver transistor for a workshop device to replicate the drive the coil would receive in a V8 engine application, it is just a 33Hz to 533Hz oscillator. This would also be fine for running neon tubes.
That's a nice-looking unit, Hugo: thanks for the link. Hey - guess what? My cct WAS wired as you suggest with the driver earth return direct to the source. I likely discovered that little error when I built the thing several years back! No zener though...

Had mine out again yesterday on sparks, but it was obvious that the HT was tracking over from the centre of one of the coils occasionally. Will need a clean-up.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 5th May 2018, 10:14 am   #23
mark_in_manc
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argus25 View Post
It is the Boyer Bransden KIT00069.
Aha! (I'd better go careful not to go too far OT here, and get my post deleted). Someone gave me a filthy one of these years ago, with no labels on it. It works (for its intended purpose) very well indeed, but I didn't know what it was called and who made it, and now I do! Almost worth buying a spare...

cheers
Mark
Old 5th May 2018, 11:13 am   #24
Argus25
No Longer a Member

It is on topic as these devices are perfect for powering IGN coils to run Neon signs/tubes. Part of the fun is finding one item of technology from one field of engineering and seeing it can be deployed to good use in another and I'm sure the mods have the insight to see that.

The fact that the unit you have still works, agrees with my experiences with it , a very hardy device. I was told by someone at the company that it contained "A secret ingredient" but they would not give me the schematic.

Since the output transistor is so reliable and from the primary coil waveforms it does not have an internal tuning capacitor (that lowers the peak collector voltage), probably it contains a zener that turns the output transistor into an active clamp. But I'm not 100% sure. Since I have never owned a faulty unit (have three of them) there has been no incentive to remove the resin and document the exact circuit in there.

Yes buy a spare, they are great value for money!
Closed Thread