UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 10th Sep 2018, 11:58 am   #1
m_rawdin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Slow No10 dial

The No10 dial on my candlestick phone is a bit slow on the return so I was going to disassemble it and see if anything needs cleaning inside as the front of it is pretty dirty. I am slightly worried about the main spring unwinding, how is this held in place and which screws/parts should I avoid removing to make sure it stays in place? Is there a way of cleaning the main spindle/spring and lubricating it without touching the main spring and unwinding it?
Old 10th Sep 2018, 3:55 pm   #2
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

Default Re: Slow No10 dial

Here are the GPO servicing instructions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf B5126 (Dial Nos 10, 11).pdf (1.17 MB, 92 views)
Old 10th Sep 2018, 4:04 pm   #3
dagskarlsen
Heptode

Usually you do not have to dismantle it. The instruction sent in the reply over is good, more info here: http://www.britishtelephones.com/dial1.htm#d10

I would have tried to blow out the dirt, clean with a little brush and oil carefully. Do not use oil with silicone, it may cause problems later for the contact sets.

A thin watch, weapon, bike, sewing machine oil are usually OK, but you cant hardly get to little.

dsk
Old 10th Sep 2018, 10:16 pm   #4
m_rawdin
Retired Dormant Member

Got it sorted, I took out the governor and governor gear, blew as much dirt out as I could and put a tiny amount of oil on any moving parts, it's going great guns now.
Closed Thread