UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Oct 2018, 2:11 pm   #1
Richard_FM
Octode

Default Multiple Brand Names For Different Markets

While there have been a few threads about the various BRC / Thorn brand names, I was wondering what particular market each brand was aimed at.

This is a rough table from what I know:

1= Philco ?
2= HMV ?
3= Ferguson- "General brand"
4= Marconi ?
5= DER - Rental
6= Ultra - "Budget brand"
7= Multibroadcast - Rental
8= Radio rentals - Rental

I've assumed that HMV & Marconi were pitched above Ferguson marketwise but don't have any paticular proof.

Also GEC had multiple brands with GEC, Sobell & McMichael, but I'm not sure what markets they were aimed at.
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 4:53 pm   #2
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Default Re: Multiple Brand Names For Different Markets

Marconiphone (4xxx) was a wholesale brand under BRC/Thorn, whereas HMV was sold through dealerships.

Thorn also acquired the Pilot brand when it bought Ultra Radio & Television Ltd in 1961.
It didn't get a lot of use in the UK, but I have seen it on a Thorn Consumer Electronics made 1970s music centre and a Trinity (Thorn subsidiary) fridge.
It was used (under licence) in the 1960s by Brownlee Brothers of Dublin, who made Thorn mono TVs under licence, such as the 950 and 1400 chassis.

For a short time in the very late 50s/early 60s, Thorn owned the Philco brand in the UK and Philco TVs used the 1xxx model number series.

When Radio & Allied Industries (Sobell) merged with GEC (UK), the group had GEC, Sobell, McMichael and Masteradio brands. I think McMicheal was the up market brand, judging from styling and specs.

I wouldn't say that Ultra was the Thorn budget brands, rather the more contemporary/modernist styled brand (as Murphy was to Bush, under Rank Bush Murphy).

HMV model numbers did indeed start with a 2 and their models usually had more elaborate cabinets (real wood - or at least real wood veneer, rather than Formica or plastic).

Last edited by dazzlevision; 22nd Oct 2018 at 4:58 pm.
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 5:09 pm   #3
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlevision View Post
HMV model numbers did indeed start with a 2 and their models usually had more elaborate cabinets (real wood - or at least real wood veneer, rather than Formica or plastic).
Still, from the sets I've met over the years it seems hard to say that particular brands were aimed at specific markets, rather than as in this case for sale through different types of dealer. Long ago I transferred the 1400 chassis from my parents' 19" HMV model, all shiny plastic with Formica sides, to a 24" Marconiphone in a much more sober cabinet largely of solid teak...

Paul
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 7:16 pm   #4
Restoration73
Nonode

Some years back I came across a 20" Thorn 1500 TV branded "Kenwood", I have never
seen another. It was a UK set.
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 7:24 pm   #5
McMurdo
Dekatron

Certainly by the time BRC became Thorn Consumer Electronics they had so many brands under their belt and from all parts of the white and brown goods industry, not to mention some more obscure parts of electronic manufacturing such as Thorn Automation (motor speed controls etc), and heating and ventilation equipment.

I think most Thorn products were pretty well regarded IMHO.
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 8:04 pm   #6
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Philco models 5600, 5601 and 5602 625 convertible receivers were marketed in late 1962. Electrically similar to the Ferguson 3600 series.

DFWB.
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 8:48 pm   #7
chriswood1900
Octode

From what I remember of the Thorn branding the different brands were also used to manage distribution routes HMV for the upmarket dealers, Ultra via wholesalers and Ferguson through the big retailers such as Currys and Comet, I'm sure those working in dealerships at the time will know better.
Chris
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 10:26 pm   #8
FERNSEH
Dekatron

After the licence to use the HMV and Marconi brands ended in 1977 Thorn Consumer Electronics as it was then made Ultra the brand for distribution through wholesalers.

DFWB.
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 10:40 pm   #9
Richard_FM
Octode

Thanks for the feedback, I did wonder if the Thorm made HMV & Marconi were sold at EMI connected shops. It's interesting that the deal with EMI ended just a few years before the merger with BRC.

Did Rank every use the Leak brand for TVs?
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 10:46 pm   #10
jayceebee
Heptode

There was also another rental outlet called Focus which I believe was only in the North of England.

I've seen a couple of radiograms badged as Columbia, quite low spec. I also have come across a record player with BRC branding.

Ferguson sets tended to be the first released with the latest new features, HMV usually had quality cabinets. Ultra as others have said were rather contemporary, many white sprayed cabinets. The 26" 6711 was quite something to see in the flesh. https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/ultra/

John.
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 11:16 pm   #11
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Multiple Brand Names For Different Markets

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
. . not to mention some more obscure parts of electronic manufacturing such as Thorn Automation (motor speed controls etc), and heating and ventilation equipment.
And Thorn lighting. But - apart from that - did they get involve in car electrics?

Al.
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 11:18 pm   #12
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Question Re: Multiple Brand Names For Different Markets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceebee View Post
There was also another rental outlet called Focus, which I believe was only in the north of England.
Would that have been the same 'Focus' that, for a while, had a chain of D-I-Y stores?

Al.
Old 23rd Oct 2018, 12:27 am   #13
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_FM View Post
Did Rank every use the Leak brand for TVs?
Rank never used the Leak name for TVs but about 1973/74 the Dansette brand appeared on a 24" mono set fitted with the A774 chassis.
Some A774 sets were made in Ireland.
The Arena brand was used for export TVs. About the time when RRI was on the verge of collapse dealers were offered export TVs in which the T22 chassis was modified for system I.

DFWB.
Old 23rd Oct 2018, 4:06 pm   #14
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restoration73 View Post
Some years back I came across a 20" Thorn 1500 TV branded "Kenwood", I have never
I wonder whether that was the UK home appliance Kenwood brand or the US consumer electronics Kenwood brand.
Old 23rd Oct 2018, 6:28 pm   #15
McMurdo
Dekatron

I'm guessing home appliances since Kenwood (chef, gourmet, etc) was a Thorn group company
Old 23rd Oct 2018, 6:53 pm   #16
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
The Arena brand was used for export TVs. About the time when RRI was on the verge of collapse dealers were offered export TVs in which the T22 chassis was modified for system I.
I remember a Dutch friend had an Arena TV and some Rotel audio-gear, all of which bore the "Man-with-the-gong" symbol.

Rotel was also used on a lot of 1980s CB gear: was that still when the brand was part of the Rank/Thorn empire or had they sold it on by then??
Old 23rd Oct 2018, 10:04 pm   #17
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Richard FM wrote in post No. 1: "Also GEC had multiple brands with GEC, Sobell & McMichael, but I'm not sure what markets they were aimed at."
When GEC acquired Sobell in 1961 the company also gained another brand name in the form of McMichael. Also, in the early sixties the Masteradio name was acquired by GEC.
A dual standard Masteradio colour TV set was made, the model 4030 which I imagine was similar in presentation as the posh cabinet GEC model 2030.
Never seen a McMichael colour TV set.
Radio Rentals offered a rebadged GEC 2028 colour TV in the form of the Baird model 705.
Sobell 1028 version is very rare.

DFWB.

Last edited by FERNSEH; 23rd Oct 2018 at 10:09 pm.
Old 24th Oct 2018, 12:11 am   #18
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maarten View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restoration73 View Post
I wonder whether that was the UK home appliance Kenwood brand or the US consumer electronics Kenwood brand.
Trio amatuer radio kit was marketed as Kenwood in some countries.
Old 24th Oct 2018, 11:31 am   #19
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
Trio amatuer radio kit was marketed as Kenwood in some countries.
And test gear such as oscilloscopes, but they seemed to drop the Kenwood brand and just use Trio, maybe due to pressure from the kitchen appliance firm of the same name.

I have a Kenwood branded CS1021 oscilloscope, though the instruction manual is unbranded and has the Trio name on the photos, looking like it was pasted 0n later. The service manual is branded Kenwood and has the same photos with the original Kenwood brand. The back cover of both say "A product of Trio-Kenwood Corporation".

Photos of the manuals attached. No photo of the actual scope as it's in storage currently.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3212.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	171464   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3216.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	171465   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3213.jpg
Views:	140