UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Oct 2018, 11:17 pm   #1
gordonlynne1968
Retired Dormant Member

Default Sharp VZ 3510 repair

Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster. Been very dissatisfied with the quality of a lot of modern turntables so came across an old Sharp VZ 3510 and thought I would try my hand at restoring it.

At the moment, the radio works and many of the front lights (see attached image). Sound is coming out of the system, and I can hear a few FM channels via the sound out connected to my headphones. However, neither the tape deck nor the turntable have any life in them. I have used contact cleaner to clean all PWBs as they were fairly dusty, and checked all fuses, but I'm a bit stuck as to what to do next. Also, the tape deck doesn't eject and I suspect it's to do with this hinge inside the front case. For those more experienced with how this model should look, any ideas?

Should I check all connectors on the device? If so, how? Has anybody had a similar problem with this model? I'm attaching images of the insides for a look.

I really appreciate any help you could give me. Would hate to see a beautiful piece of kit go to waste!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181015_164129.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	171103   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181007_171718.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	171104   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181007_155347.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	171105   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181007_024025.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	171106   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181005_142111.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	171107  

Old 17th Oct 2018, 7:06 pm   #2
buggies
Heptode

Default Re: Sharp VZ 3510 repair

Sorry I can't help with the fault(s) but is there a fuse missing from the first picture or is it just a place for a spare?
Old 17th Oct 2018, 7:24 pm   #3
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Aha! I have just bought one of these too!! I took it to bits this morning so I could wash the cabinet. I’ll have a look at the tape door mech on mine and see what’s different. Also you are missing a fuse, not sure why it’s missing, maybe it blew for some reason in the past and someone took it out?

One other thing, don’t put a tape in it yet!!!! On mine the pinch roller has turned to goop, and someone has tried to play a tape in it and now it’s all wrapped round the pinch roller and made a right mess, check yours just in case, it might be ok but just thought I’d mention it.

You are probably going to need some new belts for the tape deck and the record player to get it working properly. First thing is to get some fuses of the correct rating and see what happens when you replace it, hopefully nothing bad!

Regards,
Lloyd
Old 20th Oct 2018, 7:24 pm   #4
gordonlynne1968
Retired Dormant Member

Hey guys,

Thanks for your comments. After replacing that dead fuse (the one missing in the picture), the machine came to life! I put new belts on the turntable and it almost works perfectly. Almost electronics work great and both sides play without too many issues (the power light isn't lighting).

Unfortunately Lloyd, I did put a tape in! It wrapped my original copy of Thriller around the pinch roller so I'll have to look into getting a new one and cleaning the heads. Wish I had listened to your advice!

So at the moment, it plays 12" records on Auto setting relatively fine but plays 7" at the wrong speed (it plays at 33 1/3). Have you ever had this problem? Is it a problem with the sensor or the motor? Because it detects it's a 7" and moves the stylus to the right position but proceeds to play at the wrong setting. It's strange... if I manually move the record selector to 'EP', it plays relatively fine.

Sometimes it feels like the speed is getting faster and slower as the record plays. Would this be a part of the machine that needs greasing? If so, which one?

Also, during loud parts of the music, it sort of cuts out and goes quiet before picking up again. I have a feeling it might be the speaker I'm using. Any thoughts? Maybe I'll attach a video of what I mean soon.

Still figuring out the tape deck issue but shouldn't be too difficult to fix. And I'm using dummy records because I don't trust the needpes that came with it. The sound is a little muffled so hopefully a new cartridge and stylus will fix all that.

The long road to repair just got a heck of a lot shorter. Thanks for all your help!
Old 21st Oct 2018, 12:43 pm   #5
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Oh no! That's one reason I have some crappy old tapes with rubbish on them for testing out new decks, doesn't matter if they get ruined then

Good to hear that a new fuse was all that was needed to bring it back to life, not sure on the speed issue, I've still not got mine paying yet, but the speed fluctuations could be down to the bearings on the turntable itself, they were bone dry on mine, so I've put a smear of watch oil on them, sewing machine oil would probably be best but only a tiny amount. That requires the turntable coming out, and then there is a plate over the back of the bearing which comes off after 2 screws are removed, then there is an 'E' clip to remove, then the turntable will come away from the plate it's attached to, clean the shaft and apply a small drop of oil to it and put it back.

It could also be oil or grease on the surfaces the belt runs on, the motor and the edge of the turntable, you will need to make sure these surfaces are clean, use isopropyl alcohol (IPA) to clean them, and also make sure the belt is clean too. If the belt is the original, change it!

For the sound cutting out, it could well be the stylus is past it, might just need a clean. If it's the speaker then the problem should show up when listening to the radio too. The cartridges should be OK, but they look easy enough to change if their not.

I'll try and get some pictures of the turntable disassembly later on if you need it.

Regards,
Lloyd.
Old 21st Oct 2018, 11:46 pm   #6
nickdoofah
Banned

I have plenty of spares for these cassette mechanisms - It's the same one used in many Sharp stereos! New pinch roller & belts, I have them all! Whatever you do, DON'T dismantle the cassette mechanism unless you know what you are doing! These need two belts fitting at the same time which is a nightmare - Also When you change the pinch roller, make sure the tension spring is right underneath the headblock otherwise you will end up with a roller that just won't move up far enough to engage with the capstan shaft - Yes these decks are very good when working & don't suffer from the earlier Sharp take up reel driven by the capstan shaft, but be warned, unless you've done one before - They are tricky to repair & rebelt! P.M. me for any help!
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 12:17 am   #7
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Here's some photo's of the bits that I think needed some oil.

Once the turntable assembly is removed from the rest of the player, you'll see the plate that needs to be removed, you can just get away with taking out one screw, and loosening the other, then the plate should swing to one side.

Then there is the 'E' clip to remove, don't loose it!! I prise them off by putting a flat blade screwdriver into one side of it and twisting, they have a habit of flying off. Also make sure not to loose the black washer under it.

The turntable will come free, clean the shaft, then put a small amount of oil on the shaft, just enough to give it a coating, you don't want it dribbling everywhere. There is another black washer on the other side, it's probably stuck to the plate with the bearings, make sure it goes back on the shaft before you reassemble the turntable.

reassemble it in reverse order, making sure the black washers are in the correct places.

I also discovered that mine wouldn't run very well at all after fitting the new belt, possibly because the belt I've used is too tight, I've got one that is supposed to be for this specific machine on the way. The turntable motor began squeaking and running erratically, so put a drop of oil on the shaft of that too, which immediately stopped the squeak, and also made it run a hell of a lot smoother, and I've even managed to get it to play at the correct speed on 33 and 45.

And as far as I can tell, the deck should change it's speed automatically along with size selection, make sure the optical sensors are clear, there should be 2 red LED's glowing on the inside of the door when set to AUTO.

Regards,
Lloyd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6026.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	171313   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6028.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	171314   Click image for larger version