UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Oct 2018, 9:56 pm   #1
Frosty66
Retired Dormant Member

Default Aiwa TPR-605 Radio Cassette Take up Reel Problem

I have an Aiwa TPR-605 Radio Cassette manufactured, bought for nostalgia as itsteh exact model I had as a kid. I knew it would at leats need a belt and took the risk as it was the only one available anyway. It's cleaned up nicely and is now next to my bed as a radio.

As for the casette I have cleaned the pulles of the sticky gunge that used to be the belts and have replaced the two belts, the larger one is the main belt to the motor, the smaller one as far as I can make out is the autostop mechanism.

So now the forward and rewind works fine and play does play the tape in that the pinch wheel is pulling the tape through and I can year music, but the take up reel is not moving at all.

Can anyone suggest what the problem is likely to be? Is is likely to be fixable or should I just accept it's going to be just a radio ?

Also, any suggestions where I might find a user and service manual? I have searched to no avail.
Old 13th Oct 2018, 10:45 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Aiwa TPR-605 Radio Cassette Take up Reel Problem

The takeup spool will be driven by an idler wheel or another belt. There will be a clutch which allows the spool to slip as needed to maintain tape tension. If an idler is used, it may have gone hard. You should be able to see how the mech operates without a cassette in place.
Old 13th Oct 2018, 11:23 pm   #3
Frosty66
Retired Dormant Member

If there's a third belt it is well hidden, I can just about see a large toothed wheel which moves for forward and reverse but not when I play, I assume it should, so maybe if there's a third belt it's most inconveniently hidden under all that requiring full disassembly.

I wish I could find a service manual or at least an exploded diag so I could get some idea.
Old 14th Oct 2018, 7:19 pm   #4
ben
Dekatron

I've a sneaky suspicion this was one of those models that drove the take up via an idler which may have been driven from a rubber ring on the capstan shaft, which of course will have long since disintegrated. I also recall Sharp doing a similar thing.

If you can take the mech out and get some pics up, I am sure we will be able to advise more fully. It must be 3 decades since I last looked at one.
Closed Thread