UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jul 2017, 7:21 pm   #1
georgeek
Triode

Default Effective aerial?

To prevent pigeons roosting I will be putting up some chicken wire over the eaves on three sides of my house.

The total length of the chicken wire will be around 60ft and the width about 3ft. The 3 sides will be facing N, E and S at a height of around 30 ft. The wire will be attached to painted wood.

If I soldered on a downlead how effective an aerial would it make for my vintage radios?
Old 22nd Jul 2017, 8:12 pm   #2

Default Re: Effective aerial?

It would make a very effective aerial for all the smps carp that is in every house. Not much good for noise free radio reception.

Old 22nd Jul 2017, 8:13 pm   #3

Second thought, earth it to reduce the smps radiation to a real aerial in the garden.

Old 22nd Jul 2017, 8:18 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Try it - you've got nothing to lose by doing so.

It might work well, it might not.
Old 22nd Jul 2017, 8:26 pm   #5
paulsherwin

I agree, it may work well depending on what you have generating interference in the house. It should certainly be better than a length of wire run around an indoor room.
Old 22nd Jul 2017, 8:34 pm   #6
Biggles
Rest in Peace

It would appear you are using three sides of the house so this means that one leg of the mesh will be electrically opposing. You could try splitting the mesh so that you are using only two sides of the house, and connect the down lead to that. Or maybe the top will behave like a big capacity hat for the down lead. I have had some success with using cast iron gutters as aerials on my house.
Alan.
Old 23rd Jul 2017, 1:32 am   #7
Refugee
Dekatron

I once connected an earthed chassis valve radio between central heating pipes and mains earth.
It worked very well. It was in quite a large building at a location a long way from the utility area where the pipes and wires terminated and went down to basement level.
Old 24th Jul 2017, 12:32 pm   #8
georgeek
Triode

Thank you all....
Closed Thread