UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jul 2020, 9:28 pm   #1
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Default Grundig Satellit 300

I have been given this by a friend to repair. I've dealt with the egregious problems such as dry joints and broken wires, and it now receives on all bands (though reception here is v. poor so I'll have to give it back to him to test in his house to see if the receiver needs attention).

The tuning meter is not responding, though when I started it was (at least on AM), which leads me to think it's a dry joint somewhere. It reads battery state accurately when depressed, with the battery terminals connected to a PSU, so the movement is OK.

I have a block schematic from ElektroTanya but haven't got a circuit diagram or service manual. Does anyone have such a thing, or top tips for the meter circuit on this model?
Old 24th Jul 2020, 9:43 pm   #2
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Grundig Satellit 300 service manual?

https://archives.doctsf.com/document...6979&ref=27484

Lawrence.
Old 24th Jul 2020, 9:47 pm   #3
OldTechFan96
Octode

I found this cache of Grundig service manuals the other day.

Satelite 300 is near the bottom of the page.
Old 25th Jul 2020, 1:27 am   #4
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Thanks both! Better than what I managed to come up with. I'll try my best to make sense of the German and have a poke around using the international language of circuits...
Old 25th Jul 2020, 5:14 pm   #5
Boulevardier
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTechFan96 View Post
I found this cache of Grundig service manuals the other day.

Satelite 300 is near the bottom of the page.
Wow! What a hugely useful collection of Grundig manuals - hundreds and hundreds of models. There are many that I haven't found anywhere else. Thanks for posting OldTechFan.

Does anyone know a way of saving all those pdfs fairly quickly (webpages like this can just vanish overnight)?

Mike
Old 26th Jul 2020, 12:33 am   #6
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Default Re: Grundig Satellit 300

No, I'm afraid not. Perhaps there's some addon?

I'm now confused further - the tuning meter is now responding, but only when the circuit board corner by the 30V transformer is depressed. I've reflowed all the joints around there and the transformer is reliably outputting 30V.

The display only shows the frequency when the corner is depressed, otherwise it has the --:-- for 'time'. If the radio is tuned to a frequency with the corner depressed, then the corner is released, it remains tuned with the meter at the same position, playing the station. However, there is no frequency displayed. I can't work out what around here apart from a general earthing intermittency could have this effect. There are some through-board soldered connections, so I could try re-soldering them with wires, but the bending of the board is local and nothing within its radius responds.
Old 26th Jul 2020, 1:32 am   #7
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Default Re: Grundig Satellit 300

And as is so often the case, the act of writing out the issue clarifies it. I found a PCB link between pin C of SW2 and R580, which was the final link in the chain back to the LCD screen, that was intermittent. The printed side was inaccessible, so I soldered a jumper between these two points and the problem has gone. Now to give it back to my friend and see what the reception's like where he is!
Closed Thread