UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jul 2020, 2:12 pm   #1
JAMES WILLIAMS
Diode

Smile Graves radio battery set, table model.

Does anyone know or have knowledge of a Graves battery table radio working off a 1.5V and 90V with miniature DAF series valves which I have purchased?

Marvellous condition, works well. Replacing the valves is my intention. It's a three band item, all w/bands work, short wave needs an outside aerial. Has a frame aerial inside case. One thing bothers me, on the tuning gang there are mica insulated screws (I'm not an engineer only good at cleaning) one screw was missing along with the mica. I replaced this and screwed it down into the body on top of the tuning gang. Result (looking like it's neighbour) and lost gold around 200 metres med wave. So now have taken out the that was missing screw and got back the GOLD station. ? any on this to describe this set lovely wooden case, cream vented speaker outlet/sound, spaced dial then a portion of vented shutter finish as is the sp/grille. Any thoughts please, James.

PS. If i may also ask if anyone knows of a mullard 30/40s radio model MAS24 for sale, hope someone can help,
Thank you all readers. James. Old Welwyn Herts.

Last edited by Station X; 21st Jul 2020 at 2:31 pm. Reason: Forum rule compliance.
Old 21st Jul 2020, 5:22 pm   #2

Default Re: Graves radio battery set, table model.

Quote:
Replacing the valves is my intention
Quote:
all w/bands work
The valves are OK then, no need to replace.

Old 21st Jul 2020, 5:43 pm   #3
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Graves radio battery set, table model.

The item you describe with the mica insulator is a trimming capacitor.

It seems for whatever reason when set as you would expect there is too much capacitance, or an insulator is missing and you're shorting the capacitor out.

I don't think I have come across a post war Graves receiver so some pictures would be nice

Cheers

Mike T
Closed Thread