UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Aug 2020, 11:50 pm   #1
Exasperant
Diode

Default BSR Stuck Platter, and Other Joys

Title might be a bit misleading, as the platter is no longer stuck, but it was - Very.

I've got a nadgered BSR C123 and don't know if a couple of the bits are in the right place.

Landed back over here earlier, when trying to figure how to unstick it. There will be a "Yes, I know I'm neither witty, charming, nor good at repairs, but chuck me a view anyway" vid on this when I'm done, but short version: I removed the turntable from the "Music system" it's in, removed the screws holding the whole changer gubbins to the underside, and along with liberal soakings of release spray slowly levered the mechanism off the turntable from underneath. Think the platter has survived OK.

What I'm not sure about is the large gear with the groove in it to do the changing thing. It sits at quite an angle, meaning the back is low to the chassis, the front is up so high there's no way those odd rattly things can engage with the slidey bit.

I'm wondering if somehow levering the platter off did this, but I can't see how - I was careful not to bend the chassis, and I wouldn't have thought the gear on the platter could seize itself solid to the auto whatsit wheely gear and pull it up on the way off.

I found the little ball bearing wedged under the large gear, I now realise that goes under the tip of the slidey bit.

What I'm puzzled by is the slidey bit has a long slot the other end - Is that meant to have anything in it? It's very close to a pin on the plate the tone arm is mounted to, but i can't tell from the service manual if that pin and slot are meant to live together.
Old 10th Aug 2020, 1:38 am   #2
Exasperant
Diode

Default Re: BSR Stuck Platter, and Other Joys

Never mind, discovered the tone arm's broken at the mounting end anyway.

And looking, it seems a replacement (and probably no use) tone arm is about the same price as a replacement (probably working) turntable...
Closed Thread