UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 8th May 2019, 10:10 am   #1
crestavega
Pentode

Default Micro FM receiver with knobs

I have the remains of a shirt-pocket Star-Lite "Jetra" receiver (6 transistor, MW only by design).
the remains amount to the front half-shell case and speaker. the PCB is long gone, as is the rear halfshell.

The thing has quite high sentimental value to my father, who is non technical, but likes these old things. I would like to attempt to resurrect it for him. Since he had it as a teenager things have moved on of course and he is now really only interested in FM.

I am trying to decide between doing a faithful "restoration" (ie simply buying a working one from ebay in order to use the electronics in his somewhat distinctive bright orange case). That would give an AM-only set which probably wouldnt get used.
or
fitting a modern FM receiver into the old case, which he would use.

Most of the modern FM rx kits are digital of course, which is fine, but the radio user interface provides 2 thumbwheel slots for the volume and tuning control.

can anyone recomend any FM rx kits which provide "knob" volume and tuning?

I think I can 3D-print the missing rear halfshell.
cheers
Old 8th May 2019, 10:57 am   #2
M0FYA Andy
Nonode

Default Re: micro FM receiver with knobs

I would have thought that if the interest is sentimental, a faithful restoration to 'as-built' would be the most appropriate option, otherwise you just end up with a pastiche of no real interest or value to anyone.

My opinion, I'm sure others will disagree!

Andy
Old 8th May 2019, 11:07 am   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: micro FM receiver with knobs

If I were doing what you are aiming for, I think I'd look out for a suitable donor FM/AM pocket radio set in charity shops and at car boots etc. There are plenty of little ones from the 1990s which run on a couple of AA batteries which can be had for next to nothing and which nobody here would worry about you sacrificing for your project.

Nick.
Old 9th May 2019, 3:16 pm   #4
Mike. Watterson
Heptode

Default Re: Micro FM receiver with knobs

Restore as AM only.
New Pocket sized FM only sets are from £2. AM/FM pocket sets are under £10.
Often these are cheaper now new than in a Charity shop.
Why try to kuldge an FM set in? The FM sets need either a telescopic aerial OR they are designed to use the earphones as an aerial.
I used to build matchbox sized super-rengenerative FM sets that ran on AAA cell and used an earphone. However the cheap 70KHz IF single IC "autoscan" FM sets can work well. Some use a headphone IC amp and some just a transistor with the 32 Ohm + 32 Ohm headphones as DC load in series and the aerial.
Old 9th May 2019, 4:21 pm   #5
Restoration73
Nonode

This kit has rotary controls and is relatively low cost;
https://www.kitronik.co.uk/2157-fm-radio-kit-v20.html
Old 9th May 2019, 4:22 pm   #6
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Depending on your ability and inclination, you could build a small FM/AM converter which will scan the FM band and retransmit any stations on MW AM to a nearby receiver such as your father's without the need for any direct connections or modifications to the receiver. That way, the receiver can be left intact but will receive all available FM stations within your reception area, with just 45cms (15") of wire for an FM aerial and likewise to transmit the signal to the receiver.

Extensive threads on the forum on the BVWS Bulletin project.
Closed Thread