UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jun 2020, 7:09 pm   #1
Mickoz1974
Triode

Default Pioneer CT-F4040

Hi
Does anyone know the size belts for this device? Thanks in advance
Old 1st Jul 2020, 10:15 am   #2
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Pioneer CT-F4040

Hello

Fairly uncommon for drive belt dimensions to be listed in manufacturers documentation, so unless someone knows from their own CT-F4040 hands on experience, you will either have to measure the existing ones or if they are difficult to measure (missing/broken/turned to goo) use cotton/fine string etc to get an approximate ID (Inner Diameter).

You can normally gets sets of drive belts for specific models from online sellers and can also purchase larger sets of mixed miscellaneous sized belts in the hope that some will be suitable. Generally speaking they do not have to be precisely the correct size.

David
Old 1st Jul 2020, 1:03 pm   #3
DMcMahon
Dekatron

I should have also said that if using cotton/string method of measuring, if not possible to get a rough circle shape measurement to be able measure the diameter than just measure the circumference and divide by Pi (3.142).
Old 1st Jul 2020, 10:38 pm   #4
Mickoz1974
Triode

Thankyou, I bought it off eBay seller said belts were done two years ago I had a look they are springy not goo or hard and cracked. I didn’t want to take them off for the sake of it. How often do people change them? Back in the day I got mine fixed when it stopped working.

Last edited by Mickoz1974; 1st Jul 2020 at 10:42 pm. Reason: Forgot something
Old 1st Jul 2020, 11:06 pm   #5
DMcMahon
Dekatron

If only 2 years old then the belts should be fine, they should last much longer before any problems noticed.
Old 2nd Jul 2020, 12:46 am   #6
jamesperrett
Octode

In my experience belts tend to last at least 15 years. 15-20 years seems typical for cassette belts although some can last much longer.
Old 2nd Jul 2020, 4:02 am   #7
TIMTAPE
Octode

Belt life in my experience seems to depend on the type of belt and the demands placed on it. I've seen belts fail (break) after less than two years and others last for 15 years. The section of the belt seems to make a difference.

Square section belts running on a v shaped pulley - with a small radius - tend to fail earlier because they are being constantly stretched at the outer edge, the 90 deg corner of the belt where it is weakest. Cracks first appear and then widen. Eventually the belt just breaks. Sometimes these belts lasted less than 2 years.

Round section belts dont seem as bad as there is no thin edge as a weak point, but they are still subject to stretching at the outer circumference.

Flat section belts seem the longest lasting generally. They can negotiate tighter bends around smaller radius pulleys without as much severe flexing and risk of cracking on the outer edge.

Of course belts stretch and start to lose grip on pulleys. The stretching is just a matter of time and happens whether the machine is used or not.

Direct drive motors in open reel machines, VCR's and even some cassette machines were a great improvement: more difficult to produce but they had better specs... and no more belts to worry about!
Old 2nd Jul 2020, 11:59 am   #8
Mickoz1974
Triode

Thanks for he reply’s that’s helps, one last thing I forgot to mention I’m trying to work out using it till the belt snaps does this do damage to the machine?
Cheers everyone for he reply’s
Closed Thread