UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jun 2020, 9:09 pm   #1
kingfisher
Diode

Default Technics SL-7 record deck

Hello
I have a Technics SL7 Record deck and will be fitting an Audio Technica AT450.

I need to buy a Pre Amp so as to play through my Hi fi.
Have been looking around, see that the Pyle PP999 or the 555 has good reviews but as these are in the USA will be hard to get hold

What is a good Preamp to buy here that is not too OTT on price and will do the job.

Any advice would be great.
Thanks in advance
Old 28th Jun 2020, 7:33 am   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Technics SL-7 record deck

I would suggest that the Project Phono Box MM at £59-00 would be ideal. There's also the NAD PP-1. Both have been reviewed very well. Given the specification of your Technics/AT, there's little or no point in buying anything more exotic.
Old 28th Jun 2020, 10:34 am   #3
jon_the_id
Pentode

The Behringer PP400 is really good for the price, it is £24 from gear4music. I have one and it sounds very good to me, I haven't read anything negative about these yet.
Cheers,
Jon
Old 28th Jun 2020, 10:57 am   #4
kingfisher
Diode

Thanks for all the advice.
Old 28th Jun 2020, 11:02 am   #5
paulsherwin

There is always the option of building one, depending on your skills and interests. A simple RIAA preamp makes a good first construction project and can be built for just a few pounds.
Old 28th Jun 2020, 2:50 pm   #6
barretter
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher View Post
Hello
I have a Technics SL7 Record deck and will be fitting an Audio Technica AT450.
You can't fit an AT450 to a Technics SL7. You have to use a P-Mount cartridge for the linear-tracking arm. Is it perhaps an SP7 turntable?
Old 28th Jun 2020, 6:15 pm   #7
percival007
Heptode

You can get Adaptors.....................

Not sure the Tracking Force will be correct but it will fit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IS671462-01-01-BIG.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	209751  
Old 28th Jun 2020, 6:59 pm   #8
Beobloke
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by percival007 View Post

That's an adaptor to fit a T4P cartridge to a conventional arm. The OP would need an adaptor to fit a conventional cartridge to a T4P arm - which doesn't exist!
Old 29th Jun 2020, 1:27 pm   #9
barretter
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Given the specification of your Technics/AT, there's little or no point in buying anything more exotic.
I don't quite know what you mean by that. The SL7 is a fine linear tracking turntable much better at reproducing what is on the vinyl than most of the Dansette-type record players people seem so devoted to on this website. It would benefit from the best phono stage you can afford.
Old 29th Jun 2020, 2:11 pm   #10
Chiltern
Heptode

OP, why not replace the stylus on the original Technics cartridge? IIRC, T4P cartridges are all specified for 1.25g playing weight with some decks having no adjustment.
Old 29th Jun 2020, 3:58 pm   #11
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by barretter View Post
Quote:
Given the specification of your Technics/AT, there's little or no point in buying anything more exotic.
I don't quite know what you mean by that. The SL7 is a fine linear tracking turntable much better at reproducing what is on the vinyl than most of the Dansette-type record players people seem so devoted to on this website. It would benefit from the best phono stage you can afford.
My comment was not meant in any way to criticise you Deck. What I am saying here is that given the technical parameters of the Technics deck itself and the type of AT cartridge you plan to fit, the performance of the NAD or Project will be emminently compatible with it. I mean you could go buy a Musical Fidelity MX-VNYL for £699-00, but would you be able to hear any difference - would that kind of expense be justified?
Old 29th Jun 2020, 6:08 pm   #12
kingfisher
Diode

Quote:

yes that is correct brought from the USA

I was told that the AT450 was a good cartridge and with the kit it would fit the arm of the Technics SL7 which I was told is a good deck

have looked the NAD PP-1. + Project Phono Box MM which I will need to make the sound from the deck to work as the hi fi I have now is quite modern
Old 29th Jun 2020, 8:42 pm   #13
barretter
Heptode

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
My comment was not meant in any way to criticise you Deck. What I am saying here is that given the technical parameters of the Technics deck itself and the type of AT cartridge you plan to fit, the performance of the NAD or Project will be emminently compatible with it. I mean you could go buy a Musical Fidelity MX-VNYL for £699-00, but would you be able to hear any difference - would that kind of expense be justified?
It's not my turntable ; and you don't have to fit an AT cartridge (though many of them are very fine). There are T4P moving coil cartridges if your taste runs that way. Which turntable would you say does justify the use of a Musical Fidelity phono stage ; and what are the technical parameters which disqualify a Technics SL7 from its use?
Old 29th Jun 2020, 8:54 pm   #14
barretter
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher View Post
Quote:

yes that is correct brought from the USA

I was told that the AT450 was a good cartridge and with the kit it would fit the arm of the Technics SL7 which I was told is a good deck

have looked the NAD PP-1. + Project Phono Box MM which I will need to make the sound from the deck to work as the hi fi I have now is quite modern
You are right and I am wrong. My googling brought up the wrong picture. The AT450 is a P-mount cartridge and it will fit without the need for any non-existent adaptor.
Old 30th Jun 2020, 7:46 am   #15
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's not my turntable ; and you don't have to fit an AT cartridge (though many of them are very fine). There are T4P moving coil cartridges if your taste runs that way. Which turntable would you say does justify the use of a Musical Fidelity phono stage ; and what are the technical parameters which disqualify a Technics SL7 from its use?
My comments only apply to suitable mutual compatibility. I only suggested the Musical Fidelity as an example of a class of pre-amp that would normally be bought for use with higher-end turntables. However, "higher-end" does not in any way denigrate the SL-7. It all about appropriate matching.
Old 1st Jul 2020, 7:43 pm   #16
barretter
Heptode

Well, let's throw a few parameters at the question.The SL-7 is a direct drive turntable with a speed accuracy of + or - 0.002%, 0.025% wow and flutter and rumble of -78dB DIN B. It is also linear tracking which removes a lot of tracing distortion. The AT450 cartridge has a nude elliptical stylus and a frequency response of 10Hz to 27KHz. How does that make the combination incompatible with the Musical Fidelity phono stage, which is not even their most expensive one (which is £1400)? There are even more expensive phono stages which can presumably only be married to very exclusive turntables.

Last edited by barretter; 1st Jul 2020 at 7:44 pm. Reason: mssed out a verb
Old 2nd Jul 2020, 12:53 pm   #17
Beobloke
Heptode

Quote:
Well, let's throw a few parameters at the question.The SL-7 is a direct drive turntable with a speed accuracy of + or - 0.002%, 0.025% wow and flutter and rumble of -78dB DIN B. It is also linear tracking which removes a lot of tracing distortion. The AT450 cartridge has a nude elliptical stylus and a frequency response of 10Hz to 27KHz. How does that make the combination incompatible with the Musical Fidelity phono stage, which is not even their most expensive one (which is £1400)? There are even more expensive phono stages which can presumably only be married to very exclusive turntables.
Ah, but the SL-7 is automatic and everyone knows that turntables must be fully manual for them to be any good.

I read this in a hi-fi magazine back in the 1980s so it must be true.

Old 2nd Jul 2020, 1:34 pm   #18
Andrew2
Nonode

Hang on everyone while I nip round to the shop for some popcorn.....
Old 3rd Jul 2020, 8:50 pm   #19
sp10mk11
Octode

Throwing the cat!

The SL-7 And SL-10 were both exceptional turntables of their type they were also capable of extracting the benefits of suitable moving coil cartridges when used aswell as of course high qaulity magnetic types.

I am not sure if one only or both had built in head amps for moving coil cartridges.

Good luck with your deck it a marvalous design and has excellent engineering

The Ministry Of Missinformation is still open and spewing rubbish I see ah well......

Gary
Old 4th Jul 2020, 3:18 pm   #20
AC/HL
Dekatron

The OP hasn't been back since post 15. He has a turntable and just wanted preamp advice...
Closed Thread