UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jun 2020, 3:28 pm   #1
ekcopyephilips
Hexode

Default Australian satellite launches

Hi all

I’ve been going through my late grandads stamp collection, I decided to have a look in some of the airmail envelopes in the collection. Amazingly the contents were still there. The letters were from his brother who had emigrated to Australia from Manchester uk sometime in the 50s. The letters contain information on the launch of satellites from Woomera in the late 60s. It seems he was involved in telemetry monitoring systems. Might be interesting for some...

19th November 1968

Dear Dev

As you may have noted by the envelope we are at this time awaiting the launch of Europa 1, still patiently awaiting a successful sequence. We’ve already had one delay, usually they manage seven or eight postponements before the actual lift off, third time might be lucky in this case. Of course all the town is excitedly awaiting the launch, the excitement wears off after seven or eight early morning risings to see the lift off though. Still Win next door assures us that it will be going this week, but I note that he only commits himself to a particular week and not a day.
Well I’ll make off now and post some of the other letters I’ve written today. have a happy time at Xmas, cheerio for now.

Tom

23rd November 1969

Dear All

With the Americans about to return to Earth from that far away moon, we here at Woomera are still trying to get our second satellite into orbit. Tuesday, area 5 are attempting to launch an ‘black arrow’ the last one managed a height of 11,000 feet before the destruct system was operated. Seemingly part of the launch pad broke away and when full thrust was made a metal plate was blown right up its kilt. It was known from then as the pastel pink arrow.
E.L.D.O have delayed their next launch until 8th April 1970. At least while they’re not trying it can’t be another flop.

Tom

8th June 1970

Dear dad

Just a short note to fill the souvenir envelope.
Returned from Jarvis bay last week o start work in Range telemetry for the ELDO launch, day after tomorrow. Seemed nobody wanted to work on the French section telemetry so I’ve been loaned to do some. All the knobs and buttons are marked in french, so things become complicated at times. At the moment the countdown is going nice and steady and we’re preparing for 02:30 start and a launch between 08:00 and 10:00am on the 10th June. Perhaps this time, being the last launch from here, things will turn out successfull.

Tom

9th June 1970

Dear Dev

The countdown is still proceeding without delay, but with a further 15 hours to pass by you can bet the usual smog gust before lift off will occur.
I’m working on the french telemetry monitoring systems this time, don’t think anyone else would have anything to do with it, so I’ve been loaned to the range.
Starting time will be 02:30 tomorrow with a launch slot of 08:00 -10:00. So here’s hoping.
Old 21st Jun 2020, 3:41 pm   #2
ekcopyephilips
Hexode

Default Re: Australian satellite launches

Just found this clip on YouTube about satellite launches in Woomera.

https://youtu.be/uoSAQs5lTQo

Maybe that what he was talking about in the letters.
Old 21st Jun 2020, 4:45 pm   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

They were eventually successful, our one and only wholly independent satellite launch, Prospero: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prospero_(satellite). Still in orbit, but currently uncontactable.
Old 28th Jun 2020, 6:52 pm   #4
electronicskip
Nonode

You can track Prospero here in real time.
https://www.n2yo.com/satellite/?s=5580
Old 29th Jun 2020, 5:58 pm   #5
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcopyephilips View Post
Hi all

The letters contain information on the launch of satellites from Woomera in the late 60s. It seems he was involved in telemetry monitoring systems. Might be interesting for some...
I thought that I remembered Woomera being used for British rocket launching. Didn't we try out Blue Streak from there?
I also remember that the name Woomera was taken from native Australian and a "woomera" was a stick with a pocket at the end which was used to throw spears, giving them more thrust. Hence the place got called "Woomera".
Please do't tell me that I imagined that .
Colin.
Old 30th Jun 2020, 12:56 am   #6
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

No, you didn't imagine it, from Wikipedia:

Etymology

The settlement draws its name, woomera, from a suggestion from RAAF Group Captain Alfred George Pither and was subsequently chosen by the Board of the Long Range Weapons Establishment in April 1947. The new Village was established on Commonwealth land procured for the purpose, and named after the Aboriginal spear throwing implement the woomera which extends the range a spear can be thrown.
Old 30th Jun 2020, 11:32 am   #7
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_VK5TM View Post
No, you didn't imagine it, from Wikipedia:

Etymology

The settlement draws its name, woomera, from a suggestion from RAAF Group Captain Alfred George Pither and was subsequently chosen by the Board of the Long Range Weapons Establishment in April 1947. The new Village was established on Commonwealth land procured for the purpose, and named after the Aboriginal spear throwing implement the woomera which extends the range a spear can be thrown.
Thanks for that reassurance. It's a pity I couldn't spell "don't" properly, but I'll put that down to a combination of age and lockdown "cabin fever".
Colin.
Closed Thread