UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Mar 2018, 5:38 pm   #21
Keith
Heptode

Default Re: Modeline problem

Peter,
I've tried it. In fact, that was in the modeline that I pasted in but when I try to run it, it changes to what you see on the screenshot.
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 7:33 pm   #22
peter_scott
Dekatron

Can you change the 50.1Hz to 50.0Hz along with 404 changed to 405?

Peter
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 10:05 pm   #23
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
The driver version as reported by Device Manager is:

NVIDIA QUADRO 285
06/11/2012
Version 6.14.13.475

Graham, I wonder if you can recall which NVIDIA driver you used successfully and how you found it?
I found the old XP machine and got the details from it.

Windows XP Professional version 2002 servicepack 3
Graphics hardware NVIDIA Quadro NVS 285
Graphics driver ver 6.14.13.745
Win Modeline by Jeroni Paul ver 1.9

It worked in every respect as reliably as my current setup, ATI card under Windows 7

For what it's worth I think your hardware and software is working, I am not sure why you are getting inconsistent results.

Peter, from what you know of the TV22, is there any reason to suppose that it would
particularly struggle with our slightly out of spec waveform?

Keith may simply have a fault in the sync sep or vertical timbase, and his temporary arrangements for injecting the video might not help either, although it worked for me when I was at this stage.
Old 3rd Mar 2018, 10:14 pm   #24
peter_scott
Dekatron

Hi Graham,

My TV22 is too sick in the LOPT dept. but my TV32 works fine. I think Keith's modeline is not quite right.

Peter
Old 4th Mar 2018, 12:41 am   #25
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

I'm quite pleased with this Hantek 6022BE scope.
I must have used ctrl+prtScn to capture this shot because I appear to have unintentionally included the colour bars I was using as a source on the diminutive extended desktop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	normal bars.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	158597

And again without vBulletin's resolution limit
https://www.***********/gp/g3zvt/7vyz03

This will be more than adequate for setting the monostable timings when I get round tuit.
Old 4th Mar 2018, 12:50 am   #26
Keith
Heptode

Thanks for the continued support, chaps. I've still not given up hope yet.

Graham - the driver version I'm using is exactly the same as the one you used (a bit of dyslexia in my previous post) so that eliminates one aspect. I wonder if you know where i can get a copy of V1.9 of Jeromi Paul's Modeline Editor? The only one I can see is V1.10 (which, interestingly, looks different to the version shown on Peter's webpage (http://www.nostalgiatech.co.uk/Baird%20240%20lines.htm ) even though it has the same version number. The version I have doesn't have the "tiling" "composite" "VGA1" and "VGA2" tick boxes.

Peter - I have tried changing the 404 to 405 lines and hitting "save changes" followed by the requested PC reboot. When I reload the programe it has reverted to 404.

There may well be a fault in my TV22 but there's not much point in my inputting video with 60us lines and inverted vsync every 40mS (surely vsync should be at 20mS intervals, or have I got that wrong?). I can't seem to get back to the waveform that I showed in post #4.
Old 4th Mar 2018, 3:32 am   #27
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
I wonder if you know where i can get a copy of V1.9 of Jeromi Paul's Modeline Editor? The only one I can see is V1.10
I presume this is 1.9 this is a link to my Google Drive
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JQ2...ew?usp=sharing

When you hit "Save Changes" and your PC reboots, have you got both VGA screens connected?

You should see a 664x377 option on display 2 in the Windows screen resolution applet.

I don't normally touch that, perferring to click the little [ >] in the Modline editor, then "OK" to the next dialogue, but on next and final dialogue that simply says "OK?" I don't click either button.

You can see this at this point here
https://youtu.be/ahzdx4KgWBg?t=131

What you don't see me doing is when I want my screens back to normal, I switch screen 2 back in, then click the Cancel button on that final dialogue and the screen resolution reverts to what it was originally (1280x1024 in my case)
Old 4th Mar 2018, 8:27 am   #28
peter_scott
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_scott View Post
Can you change the 50.1Hz to 50.0Hz along with 404 changed to 405?

Peter
Hi Keith,

Did you also change your 50.1Hz when you changed the 404?

Peter
Old 4th Mar 2018, 11:32 am   #29
Keith
Heptode

Graham,

Thanks for your latest post - very interesting.

When I reboot the PC, it's still in dual screen mode but I don't get the 664x377 line for screen 2 on the display resolution slider - it still shows 640x480 (next one up is 800x600). I know the scope is looking at display 2 as when I click "Identify" on the context menu, I can see the change on on the video. The real problem seems to be that the line time won't go above about 60uS.

I've downloaded the Winmodelines folder from your Google drive - thanks for that. I shall try the earlier version of the editor shortly. I might also try reloading the NVIDIA driver. This time I'll uninstall the old one first which I didn't do last time.

Great YouTube video - I can see exactly what's supposed to happen. Looking forward to trying Vid Blaster - looks like great fun!

Peter,
Yes I did change to 50.0Hz but it still comes back as shown.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Display properties box.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	158602  

Last edited by Keith; 4th Mar 2018 at 11:33 am. Reason: typo
Old 4th Mar 2018, 3:03 pm   #30
peter_scott
Dekatron

Quote:
The driver version as reported by Device Manager is:

NVIDIA QUADRO 285
06/11/2012
Version 6.14.13.475

I found the old XP machine and got the details from it.

Windows XP Professional version 2002 servicepack 3
Graphics hardware NVIDIA Quadro NVS 285
Graphics driver ver 6.14.13.745
Win Modeline by Jeroni Paul ver 1.9
Hi Keith,

I never had a working XP system with an NVidia card but I see that Jeroni Paul says that for interlaced scanning you need the 66.x or newer driver. This probably explains why the Modeline changes to 404.

See if you can load a later driver.

"NVidia: ForceWare drivers supported starting in version 61.x (without interlacing) or 66.x or newer (with interlacing), compatible only with Windows XP drivers."

Peter
Old 4th Mar 2018, 3:16 pm   #31
Keith
Heptode

Thanks Peter,

I did spot that comment from Jeromi Paul but haven't yet found the driver version mentioned. I'm currently clutching at the fact that Graham seems to have had success with the same card/driver combination that I'm using. I'm now wondering whether it's an OS issue. I think I need to get my alternative boot XP Pro to work (it's currently not recognising the keyboard, which is a pain).
Old 4th Mar 2018, 3:38 pm   #32
peter_scott
Dekatron

I guess Nvidia must have changed their driver numbering. Is this the version you are using?

http://www.nvidia.com/download/drive...px/52335/en-us

Version: R304 U4 (307.45) WHQL
Release Date: 2012.11.19
Operating System: Windows XP
CUDA Toolkit: 5.0
Language: English (US)
File Size: 115 MB

Peter
Old 4th Mar 2018, 6:54 pm   #33
Keith
Heptode

Progress - at last!

I managed to get WinXP Pro to run (had to use a PS/2 keyboard!) and am now getting correct video and syncs so I guess it must have been an OS problem.

Connected to the TV22 video amp grid and I am now getting a picture of sorts. Frame trying to lock but at the end of the control so I guess I need to tweak an R or C in the oscillator due to my transformer rewind. Also got a brighter vertical in the centre of the screen which I think means I need to adjust the sync drive C28.

Lots to do but I'm delighted to have got going again after a frustrating couple of days. I'll post a picture shortly. Thank you so much for your help.
Old 4th Mar 2018, 10:08 pm   #34
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Excellent news Keith. It's a good feeling being a maverick.

All that remains is to decide which three vintage TVs to buy with the money you have saved.
Old 6th Mar 2018, 12:22 pm   #35
Keith
Heptode

I'm afraid my initial euphoria was a bit premature. Having locked the frame I could see only the top half of the picture. Looking back at the waveform I realised that the vsync pulses, although now of the correct polarity, still had a 40mS interval. The modeline had not retained the interlace parameter. i.e. it has resorted to a progressive 405 line scan. So it's back to trying some more drivers in the hope that I can find one that supports interlace (I tried 307.45 that you found for me, Peter, but it does that same thing). I'm still confused as to how you got the correct output, Graham, using the same hardware, driver and OS!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2nd picture_c.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	158736  
Old 31st Mar 2018, 3:02 pm   #36
Keith
Heptode

Not having had any success with the NVIDIA QUADRO 285, I got hold of an ATi Radeon HD2400 Pro as supposedly the "video card of choice" for this application. I also bought a DVI-I to dual VGA splitter cable. I don't seem to be able to get two independant DVA outputs, however - i.e. the ability to extend the desktop on to the second (analogue TV) screen which I was doing with the NVIDIA card. Looking at the pinout of the DVI-I 24+5 connector there is only one set of VGA pins. Am I missing something?
Old 31st Mar 2018, 3:13 pm   #37
peter_scott
Dekatron

You need to drag the image(Left mouse key held down) into your TV or second display and then select full screen mode. For me using Irfanview full screen mode is simply toggled by RETURN or RETURN again to exit full screen. When using VLC Player full screen mode is toggled with the "f" key.

Peter

Last edited by peter_scott; 31st Mar 2018 at 3:20 pm.
Old 31st Mar 2018, 4:48 pm   #38
Keith
Heptode

Thanks for replying, Peter,

Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to get dual screens i.e. two separate VGA outputs. I've just found that the splitter cable I bought has the two VGA plugs wired in parallel so there's no way they can be independant. I wonder if you are using one DVI output (to your monitor) and one VGA to your modulator. The good news is that this card does work with an interlaced modeline so I'm finally getting a 50Hz refresh rate. Much less wearing on the eyes!
Old 31st Mar 2018, 5:33 pm   #39
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

The socket on the back of both these cards is a DMS59 and clearly there are two sets of VGA signals

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...S59_pinout.svg

If you are getting a duplicate image on the second monitor you need to double check the settings are correct for and extended desktop. The default setting will not necessarily be the same for the previous card.

Peter, the nice thing about Vidblaster X, is the output module "takes possession" of the secondary screen, as it were. No dragging across involved.
Old 31st Mar 2018, 5:36 pm   #40
peter_scott
Dekatron

Hi Keith,

The graphics card I'm using has a DMS-59 connector that I assume has two independent VGA outputs.

Peter
Closed Thread