UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Nov 2018, 12:50 pm   #1
tin0gauge
Tetrode

Default Running a stereo amp as mono?

In a little conversion I am doing I am using a cheap Chinese 10 + 10 w stereo amp and a stereo blue tooth receiver I only can use one speaker so I assume I can combine the blue tooth stereo output into one channel and connect that to the stereo amp. With regard to the amp outputs can I combine them, or just run the input to one amp and put a resistive load on the output of the unused one?

Thanks in anticipation.
Old 14th Nov 2018, 1:13 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: running a stereo amp as mono

Just use one of the amp's channels and ignore the other one. Don't feed it any input. You shouldn't need to connect anything to the output though a resistor will do no harm.

You can only combine the amp outputs if the amp is specifically designed to do that.
Old 14th Nov 2018, 1:54 pm   #3
Michael Maurice

Default Re: Running a stereo amp as mono?

Use two 1K resistors in series with each output from the Bluetooth receiver to combine the output.

As Paul said do NOT connect the two outputs of the amplifier together.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 14th Nov 2018, 3:28 pm   #4
rontech
Heptode

I think QUAD used to publish a circuit for combining the two channels of their QUAD 303 power amp to make a high output mono block amp.
Old 14th Nov 2018, 4:09 pm   #5
julie_m
Dekatron

You could build an inverting amplifier to feed one channel of the stereo amp with an inverted version of the input signal, and connect the speaker between the two outputs; but it's much less bother simply to leave the unused channel unconnected.

You won't even need a load on the unused channel, unless it has a transformer-coupled output.
Old 14th Nov 2018, 8:03 pm   #6
tin0gauge
Tetrode

Thank you gentlemen nice easy and plausible solutions will get right on it. Bryan
Closed Thread