UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Apr 2021, 2:31 pm   #1
telstar
Octode

Default Decca Prestomatic radios

Hi. I have two Decca type Prestomatic radios, one with U.K valves, the other with U.S octals.
The U.K is the model PT/AC, but is the one with American octals a Brunswick variation, and if so what is the model number, and is there a circuit diagram & manual for that, please?
It will be interesting to find out.

Mike
Old 15th Apr 2021, 2:19 pm   #2
telstar
Octode

Default Re: Decca Prestomatic radios

Quote:
Originally Posted by telstar View Post
Hi. I have two Decca type Prestomatic radios, one with U.K valves, the other with U.S octals.
The U.K is the model PT/AC, but is the one with American octals a Brunswick variation, and if so what is the model number, and is there a circuit diagram & manual for that, please?
It will be interesting to find out.

Mike
Here is a picture of the Decca PT/AC Prestomatic radio, in case anyone does not recognize it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Decca PT-AC.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	231816  
Old 15th Apr 2021, 2:24 pm   #3
Robint 47
Tetrode

Mike Sorry never come across a prestomatic radio, in my time with Decca. B
Old 15th Apr 2021, 2:31 pm   #4
Robint 47
Tetrode

Mike ignore above post not sure what happened . In my time at Decca never come across one nor do i have any service info. But Decca did use the term Prestomatic when referring to a model with a push button tuner system as your photo shows. It maybe a chassis modified to take a push button tuner,any chance of internal view and valve line up it may jog a memory.
Robin
Old 15th Apr 2021, 2:32 pm   #5
telstar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robint 47 View Post
Mike Sorry never come across a prestomatic radio, in my time with Decca. B
Hi. Many thanks for your reply. These radios were made by Decca, and I have these listed in a book about radio companies and the valves used in their radios.
Old 15th Apr 2021, 2:33 pm   #6
telstar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robint 47 View Post
Mike ignore above post not sure what happened . In my time at Decca never come across one nor do i have any service info. But Decca did use the term Prestomatic when referring to a model with a push button tuner system as your photo shows. It maybe a chassis modified to take a push button tuner,any chance of internal view and valve line up it may jog a memory.
Robin
Hi Robin
I will send you a picture of the internals of the radio next time.
Mike
Old 15th Apr 2021, 2:38 pm   #7
jonnybear
Octode

The service information is on the DVD or here https://www.service-data.com/
John
Old 15th Apr 2021, 6:49 pm   #8
Hartley118
Nonode

Maybe the US Brunswick version was first.

Brunswick was acquired by Decca in the 1930s. With the acquisition came Harvey Schwartz, a brilliant business-oriented design engineer, who not only designed products such as the FFRR/XMS pickup head and the Deccalian high quality record player, but was also involved in the Decca Navigator system and the foundation of Decca Radar. It wouldn’t be surprising if Schwartz also brought over the Prestomatic design from Brunswick.

Martin
Old 19th Apr 2021, 2:20 pm   #9
telstar
Octode

Hi everyone.
Many thanks for your help. I have the service information on the PT/AC model with the British valves, but not the data for the model with the octal valves (U.S).
On the assumption that PT stands for Prestomatic, then there is a radio with just PTM AC in my radio manufacturers book that has the valves that they used in each set. In this case, the valves used were 6P8G, 6U7G, 6R7G, 6V6G, 5Z4G. Wonder if this version with U.S octal tubes uses the same cabinet as the photo of the PT/AC that has the U.K valves, then it will answer my question? Of course, I will still require the service data for the octal valves radio.
One thing in common is that both have the tone control near the top of the radio.
Cheers
Mike
Old 13th May 2021, 2:15 pm   #10
telstar
Octode

Hi. I have come to the conclusion that the Brunswick equivalent of the Decca PT/AC is model 39EH. This was covered by Trader 328 as a radiogram, but mine must be the table radio variation as I have been informed that they have similar power supply circuits.
Cheers
Mike
Old 27th Sep 2021, 2:21 pm   #11
telstar
Octode

Hi. I have studied the circuit diagrams for the Decca PT/AC and the radio that I believed to be the Brunswick (that has octal valves). There is a small difference, in both models there are three MES lamps (two scale and one waveband indicator), but in the Brunswick manual only two scale lamps. Wonder if my second set is still a Decca PT/AC but modified circuit?
Closed Thread