UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Dec 2021, 7:45 pm   #1
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Brown shoe polish on Bakelite?

Every time I restore a brown Bakelite radio I begin by giving it a good ' clean down' using foam cleanser. This invariably results in brown goo running down the set indicating that it has had an application of brown shoe polish or something similar. Personally I have found that using Greygate polishing compound No.5, followed by a good buffing does the trick. But I suppose the brown (or black in the case of black Bakelite) shoe polish could be used to 'hide' minute specs of the white Greygate that gets left on the surface.

What's your view? do you use shoe polish prior to your final buffing? I'm not looking for 'beginning to end' instructions on how to restore Bakelite, but your view on the use of shoe polish as a final polish. Thanks.
Old 12th Dec 2021, 8:13 pm   #2
emeritus
Dekatron

Default Re: Brown shoe polish on Bakelite?

After I had fixed it electrically (by replacing a faulty valve), a friend cosmetically restored the badly faded case of his DAC90 using brown shoe polish. It had spent most of its life in the direct sunight of his late aunt's South-facing bay window.
Old 12th Dec 2021, 8:28 pm   #3
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

I try to avoid using foam cleanser or washing cabinets unless they are really disgusting, as they always go dull afterwards. I have tried shoe polish before, but I find that all the colour stays on the cloth! I've taken to using Briwax furniture wax, in very tiny amounts after giving the cabinet a good going over with paste polishing no.5. I guess any sort of wax polish will give good results, if used sparingly. I have been meaning to get some of the coloured T-Cut to try out, see if that's any good.

Regards,
Lloyd
Old 12th Dec 2021, 8:30 pm   #4
paulsherwin

I think most of the filth that comes off bakelite is tobacco tar from previous owners. We tend to forget how ubiquitous smoking was in living rooms in the past - my aunt and uncle were heavy smokers, and I couldn't believe the discolouration over everything when I had to clear their house. Items were actually sticky to the touch with smoke deposits.
Old 12th Dec 2021, 9:16 pm   #5
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
I think most of the filth that comes off bakelite is tobacco tar from previous owners. We tend to forget how ubiquitous smoking was in living rooms in the past - my aunt and uncle were heavy smokers, and I couldn't believe the discolouration over everything when I had to clear their house. Items were actually sticky to the touch with smoke deposits.
Good point Paul, that may well be what I'm witnessing - as well as shoe polish in some cases.
Old 12th Dec 2021, 10:58 pm   #6
Richard_FM
Nonode

I've heard Brasso was good for getting the shine back on Bakelite.
Old 13th Dec 2021, 8:56 am   #7
stevehertz
Dekatron

But is Brasso less or more aggressive than greygate 5? I like the idea of grading a polishing process but it's a matter of being able to understand a pecking order of products.
Old 13th Dec 2021, 9:36 am   #8
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I use brown shoe polish on bakelite.

From what Paul mentioned, we had a radiogram; the previous family must have been members of the puff 'n' cough brigade as it took ages to clean the cabinet inside and out and get rid of the smell!
Old 13th Dec 2021, 9:47 am   #9
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Likewise, I use black boot polish on bakelite telephones, which can hide many minor scuffs without having to grind down the surface with repeated application of abrasives such as Greygate 5.
Old 13th Dec 2021, 10:14 am   #10
stevehertz
Dekatron

Especially on sets that have been subjected to sunlight for years, there appears to be some kind of surface 'oxidisation' going on that makes it dull.
Old 13th Dec 2021, 10:32 am   #11
vinrads
Dekatron

I have always washed the cabinet getting rid of all the crud first , then restore the shine with oxblood shoe polish, Mick.
Old 13th Dec 2021, 12:48 pm   #12
The Philpott
Dekatron

Per Steve's comment on surface deterioration- a test meter that had obviously not gone through the moulding process 'quite right' had a nasty grainy surface- i reasoned that it would be absorbent and indeed it was...then reasoned that bakelite is tolerant to petrochemicals so used the least aggressive one i could think of- johnsons baby oil.

Now this is on equipment that doesn't get particularly warm in use, so you might think differently of treating a valve radio or TV with it, but aesthetically it worked really well on this piece. 5yrs on now and no detectable deterioration.

Dave
Old 14th Dec 2021, 5:11 pm   #13
Radio_Dave
Nonode

Most of that brown stuff washing away is the uv/age damaged surface. That's why bakelite cabinets often look dull after washing. The wood flour, used as a filler, also absorbs the water, swells and helps the damaged surface wash away too.

Back to the original question, yes I do use shoe polish on bakelite and I find several applications are needed for the best results.

David
Old 23rd Dec 2021, 6:50 pm   #14
stevehertz
Dekatron

I've finished polishing the set in question and I used Greygate No. 5, then Brasso, then brown shoe polish. The three consecutive 'grades' of polish seem to have done the trick, it's shiny and it's brown!
Old 1st Feb 2022, 1:07 pm   #15
clockman
Pentode

I always have used brown shoe polish also beeswax. And to cover damage repairs on the Ultra twin Rimmel black cherries nail varnish.TAB
Old 6th Feb 2022, 11:05 am   #16
stevehertz
Dekatron

The procedure I outline in post 14, I have now used several times with fabulous results. For me, the thread has run its course but mods feel free to leave open or close as is felt appropriate, thanks.