UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Mar 2020, 8:38 am   #1
Tony Jaques
Triode

Default HP Deskjet 690C. (Actually an 895cxi) Transistor info needed.

Hi there,
Firstly I do apologise if this is in the wrong place, or even if it should not be here at all. If so I am sure that someone will berate me, but I could see nowhere else!
I have had the 690c passed on to me - not working of course. It has a PSU problem. On the only PCB (C6409-A-54) There is a surface mount transistor Q3. Unfortunately it has become upset beyond recognition. Service info seems to be unavailable, but someone somewhere must have it. Can that someone tell me what the transistor is please?
Even better - a circuit of this part of the board might save me a lot of tracing.
Thank you for at least considering this.
Tony...
Old 27th Mar 2020, 9:56 am   #2
peter_scott
Dekatron

Default Re: HP Deskjet 690C. Transistor info needed.

Hi Tony,

I would just try to guess at the characteristics. I would assume it's not a high frequency part so you only need to guess at the power ratings and gain.

Peter
Old 27th Mar 2020, 11:30 am   #3
mervyn
Hexode

From my days servicing HP laser printers , i very much doubt there will be any schematics available down to component level.. not outside HP or official service centres
Even with proper service manuals from HP it was usually a case of work to find area and then board swap or part swap
I think the previous reply would be the way i would go
regards
Merv
Old 28th Mar 2020, 1:24 pm   #4
Tony Jaques
Triode

Hello Peter and Merve,
Thank you for taking the trouble to reply.
That is much as expected. That's a good point about the transistor type not being critical. It should not be a problem finding NPN or PNP from a circuit trace, and with a bit more, luck whether Bipolar of FET. I am sure that you will understand that I was just hoping, however optimistically, to shorten the process.
I will check back in a few days. You never know!
Thanks.
Tony...
Old 28th Mar 2020, 2:04 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I have a CD-ROM called "APS SERVICE MANUALS FOR HP DESKJET" which I would imagine might cover this model. Looks like a bootleg copy of something designed for HP service departments, bought on eBay in 2002.

However, I think it ran on Windows 98 so I can't check anything at the moment.

You're welcome to borrow it if you want - I can post.

Nick.
Old 31st Mar 2020, 8:56 am   #6
Tony Jaques
Triode

Thank you so much for that Nick,
I have sent an e-mail to you.
Tony...
Old 8th Apr 2020, 8:00 am   #7
Tony Jaques
Triode

Default Re: HP Deskjet 690C. (Actually an 895cxi) Transistor info needed.

Note to Moderator:

Hi there,
Like an idiot I entitled the thread Deskjet 690 (which is one I have on loan). It should have read Deskjet 895cxi (which is the faulty one).
I don't think that I can change it, but it might just be helpful if you did.
Not That I seriously think that there is anyone who can tell me what Q3 is in that one either!
But you never know.
Tony...
Old 8th Apr 2020, 11:23 am   #8
M0TGX Terry
Hexode

Hi Tony. I have an 895cxi which I never use. It's been out of use but dry stored for several years but was working ok when put away. If you could let me have detailed instructions as to exactly where to look, I'll open it up this afternoon and see if I can find any identifying markings on the bit you're interested in. If we weren't in lockdown, you could have the whole thing for the cost of carriage. I could do with the space!
Let me know if this helps.
Old 8th Apr 2020, 1:40 pm   #9
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Parcel deliveries are still operating. Just choose a service that collects from home rather than requiring you to take it to a parcel shop (even though it's a bit more expensive). The driver will use appropriate social distancing when they collect.

There are several options on delivery comparison sites like https://www.parcel2go.com.

If you need a box, ask at your local convenience store.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 12th Apr 2020, 10:53 am   #10
Tony Jaques
Triode

Hi Paul
Thank you relabelling the header for me. As you see it did bring a result.
Tony...
Old 12th Apr 2020, 11:02 am   #11
Tony Jaques
Triode

Hello Terry,
You can not see the board without dismantling the case which is fiddly and risks breaking plastic, and with quite a risk of getting ink all over the place while you maneouver it.
I can post instructions if you wish to risk it, but (pretty obviously) a much better option for me would be to create the empty space for you! I would be very happy to compensate you for any costs involved if you would be good enough to send it to me. And compensation in advance would be quite acceptable too, if you would let me know how much.
Even if the printer no longer works it would be wonderful to have a complete set of spares.
Thank you very much for your posting.
Tony
(G3PTD)
Old 12th Apr 2020, 12:32 pm   #12
cmjones01
Nonode

As a side note, I think these printers are well worth fixing. Our most reliable printer at home is a Deskjet 895cxi which I must have bought in about 1998. I gave up on it when good cartridges ceased to be available, but then bought a special bleeding and refill kit from a supplier in the US and all four of the (new and used) black cartridges I had came back to life perfectly. Colour is more of a problem (the print head tends to fall off the colour cartridges, and we have one which is thus now just an ink container, and another which is intact only prints in pink unless given attention regularly) but for everyday black and white document printing the 895cxi works well. I've set it up with CUPS under Linux on the ancient Sheevaplug which does sundry networking tasks here, so it's easily to use without driver installation from all the various devices in the house - windows 7 and 10 laptops, Mac OS X and even Android phones. Not bad for something that's now almost vintage!

Chris
Old 18th Apr 2020, 4:34 am   #13
arjoll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones01 View Post
I gave up on it when good cartridges ceased to be available
My notes show this model uses 51645A black and C1823D tricolour cartridge. Both of those are still available in the Asia-Pacific region at least, although it looks like the C1823D is out of stock.

If you want either, even just as a backup for your refilled ones, and they're not available in the UK then send me a PM. Take the RRP as a guide of the absolute maximum they'd cost including shipping, there's a pretty decent margin on these - the only thing is that you'd have to wait until NZ is out of lockdown before I can send them!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 51645A.pdf (88.9 KB, 57 views)
File Type: pdf C1823D.pdf (97.2 KB, 48 views)
Old 18th Apr 2020, 7:11 am   #14
crackle
Rest in Peace

Have you checked the price of the ink cartridges for these old HP Deskjets.

You may be able to buy a new printer for the price of the ink.
I gave up colour printing and got a cheep laser printer, they now come network ready so any PC in the home can print to it.

Mike
Old 18th Apr 2020, 7:36 am   #15
M0TGX Terry
Hexode

For the record, I have despatched my old printer to Tony, so with luck he should soon have a working machine. I also benefit by having a small amount of space in my shed, although I don't expect that to last!
Old 18th Apr 2020, 10:17 am   #16
yesnaby
Octode

Both (genuine) cartridges are extremely cheap on eBay at the moment.
Old 12th May 2020, 8:15 am   #17
Tony Jaques
Triode

This should, I think, wrap this one up.

Firstly Hello To Nick. The disk that you sent arrived yesterday. I can't help wondering how long it has been floating about "locked down".
Unfortunately I can not read it (on five different drives). At first I though that the cure was easy: just remove the stuck on label. Almost every disk that I have stuck a label on (even the full face ones intended for it) has become unusable. This is the first time that just removing the label has not restored full functioning. Oh well.
But nevertheless I still apreciate the effort. Thank you very much Nick.

To Terry. The printer has been functioning beautifully and thank you once again.
There is a possibility that it does not print Cyan (on three different cartridges) but as you know for my purposes colour operation does not matter. If I get the faulty printer going again then I may be able to confirm that - or throw two cartridges away! Unlike modern printers which refuse to print until you pay for more cartridges the hp only cares whether a cartridge is present or not. Not whether it works.

Now to anyone else who this might just help:
Terry's printer enabled me to find out that the duff transistor was a Harris H75307. These can be got from China as long as you need 50, but I did find one company that will even supply one for all of $3. Postage was $5 so I ordered two. Big spender. (transistormosfet.com)
No data sheet could be found, but I can find out what they are when get them.

So that's about it I reckon.
Thank you to all responders.

Tony...
Old 12th May 2020, 11:06 am   #18
M0TGX Terry
Hexode

Hello Tony. I'm delighted the printer is ok (apart from the apparent problem with cyan) When it was in use here it all worked very well, but it has been 'in store' for many years so something could have happened while it was asleep. Sadly, inkjet printer technology is yet another area of my ignorance, so I can't make any suggestions as to a diagnosis or cure. Still, I'm pleased it went to a good home. Good luck with the repair of your original machine.
Best wishes
Terry