UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jul 2011, 9:39 pm   #1
JoshWard
Octode

Default Stella ST106A

Hi all,
After the last Stella set how could I resist doing another?

This set was offered on the forum by David Simpson along with it's Philips sister the 341A. Both were sets on my wanted list so naturally I jumped at the chance to give them a home! They were very kindly dropped off to me by Graham (Station X) and went on the to do pile.
David had been brave and stuck some power on them, the Stella was already working but the Philips was dead (more on that in a later success story when I get round to it, it's not completely dead though, seems to be an intermittent fault as I have had stations on it). Anyway with lots of stuff on the go at the moment I thought I'd better make my nice project a quick simple one which this Stella was.
Anyway, power up and it was indeed working so I replaced the scale lamps (faulty) and changed THAT cap as well as several other of 'suspect' values (0.01µF +) and also the tone corrector cap although this was an odd value of 0.0068µF. I changed this for two 1kv ceramic disc caps connected in parallel (0.0047 and 0.0022). The other capacitors were changed for 1970s/80s Philips capacitors, rather appropriate considering the radio I checked all the resistors and found only one 47k to be out of tolerance. A nice new three core mains lead along with a suitable vintage plug was fitted but in order for this to be done a 0.0015µF cap was in the way. Instead of desoldering it and resoldering it I changed it for a nice new ceramic disc cap.

Sometime in the past it appears that the on/off/volume switch has failed. It does not switch at all so not just O/C, it seems to physically be missing it's contacts and the connectors on the back have been linked by wire so it stays on (not an issue for me as I never leave these things plugged in, not enough sockets!).
I then found it had stopped functioning, this was due to dirty valve pins on the ECH81. All valve pins were cleaned as were all sockets, switches and pots.

The case was rather more work. Some unthoughtful person (Charlie himself?) had painted the name 'Charlie Nicholson' on the top in rather thick yellow paint! Plenty of T-Cut and a lot of hard work later and it was removed. If I ever find Charlie though...
The rest of the case was given a T-Cut and came up lovely, as did the paint in the front. The knobs were filthy but they came up well with some warm soapy water and a toothbrush. It was rather awkward to clean, the front especially but it looks a lot smarter.

All in all it's a lovely looking set and as for performance, well it's a Philips so you can guess how it sounds (really nice!). It seems they used similar chassis' in several sets including the 310A which is on my shopping list so I guess I will encounter this chassis several more times. A nice cheap restoration too, the only thing I had to pay for was the ceramic caps! Total cost was probably around 10p!

These sets aren't rare or expensive. If you see one grab it, you won't be disappointed.

Josh.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0222.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	162.6 KB
ID:	54511   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0233.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	54512   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0235.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	54513   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0237.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	54514   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0239.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	54515  

Old 30th Jul 2011, 9:47 pm   #2
Mark the Mender
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Stella ST106A

Nice one Josh!

cheers Mark
Old 30th Jul 2011, 10:07 pm   #3
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

That looks nice Josh, well done! I have a scruffy one of those on the "to do" heap, painted grey with a gold front, but someones drilled a hole in the side for a replacement mains switch... , One day...

Regards, Mick.
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 9:41 am   #4
JoshWard
Octode

Thanks Mark and thanks Mick

Another one with a dodgy original on/off switch then!

Josh.
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 12:04 pm   #5
stitch1
Heptode

Good work Josh, I fancy one of those myself.
Old 2nd Aug 2011, 4:04 pm   #6
JoshWard
Octode

Thanks Go for it, they're not rare or expensive and a nice radio!

Josh.
Closed Thread