UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jul 2011, 9:10 pm   #21
howard
Nonode

Default Another 1937 Philips 727A AC mains 5 valve MW/SW/LW table radio

Hello again,

I was so impressed with the above 727A (which wasn't mine) that I bought one for myself to restore but this was in worse condition and far more challenging.

It was restored in much the same way ie: all tubular capacitors replaced, almost all the wiring resheathed, one or two out of spec resistors replaced, one electrolytic stuffed etc. etc. but surprisingly both its original smoothing capacitors were found to be OK. Initially it only worked on SW but after replacement of an open circuit padding capacitor (diagnosed by Ron Bryan) and a thorough clean of the waveband switch with DeoxiT it eventually worked on all bands. It soon packed up though, and just hummed loudly, that problem was tracked down to a shorting out TDD4 valve. I managed to obtain a NOS TDD4 for £8.50 from vintage-parts.com and then the set then started to work well. I also had a lot of trouble finding decent secondhand VP4B and PenA4 valves.

The outside of the case was unmarked but moths had eaten away a lot of the grille cloth so I had no choice but to replace it and for around £12 I bought some from Ben Dijkman - it's not an exact match, although it is a Philips pattern and it suits the set well. There was a lot of rust on the chassis nearly all of which was succesfully removed using Rustins rust remover. One broken dial cord was replaced and the wooden base had a few woodworm holes so that was treated, filled and painted with matt blackboard paint. The outside of the case was polished with Brasso.

Ron Bryan very kindly helped realign the set, surprisingly it needed very little adjustment.

So now I've got my own 727A, it works well, and it looks and sounds as a late 1930s radio should.

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	philips_727A-front 001.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	53523   Click image for larger version

Name:	Philips_727A_inside_before 001.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	53524   Click image for larger version

Name:	philips_727A_inside_after 001.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	53525   Click image for larger version

Name:	philips_727A_chassis_top 001.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	53526   Click image for larger version

Name:	philips_727A_amp_chassis 001.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	53527  

Old 6th Jul 2011, 9:55 pm   #22
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: 1937 Philips 727A AC mains 5 valve MW/SW/LW table radio

Great job.Looks like the day it left the shop.

David
Old 7th Jul 2011, 8:14 am   #23
Sideband
Dekatron

Superb job Howard. Your attention to detail is second-to-none!

SB
Old 7th Jul 2011, 12:04 pm   #24
ms660
Dekatron

I luv that cabinet.

well done.
Old 7th Jul 2011, 6:41 pm   #25
MALC SCOTT
Octode

Well done Howard
Old 8th Jul 2011, 2:14 pm   #26
johnn
Retired Dormant Member

What an excellent transformation! I have a 727A waiting in the wings with a replacement mains T/S, but the main smoothing capacitors are fine. Does not seem to be a problem if they stay full of liquid. I like these sets too.
John
Closed Thread