UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Feb 2018, 9:59 am   #1
johnsussex
Retired Dormant Member

Unhappy Extra help needed with Garrard 3000 autochanger

Hi, I'm desperate to get the above working on my Hacker Gondolier record player. I've had the amp overhauled with many resistors or whatever being replaced but still have problems with the Garrard. The auto-changer does'nt work at all moving the lever from 'Manual' to 'Auto' shows no resistance and does'nt appear to engage in any way. I've followed several of your threads on this including removing the large toothed cog and freeing the trip pawl. I couldn't remove the trip pawl from the large cog but it now moves freely and the end with the collar moving up and down. Having tried several times it is still not working.
On reflection I decided that I would settle for the deck working manually without the auto-changer and to that end I have removed the large cog and trip pawl. However I still have problems in that it worked OK manually at first but then there was resistance on the arm travelling across the record and a scraping noise from under the pickup arm where fixed to the deck. Can I cure this by removing further parts under the deck and if so how? If the arm were completely free of the auto-changer would it skid?
As you've probably guessed I very much a novice.
I would like to thank all contributors to the threads I've read and as another option wonder whether there are any members not too far from Horsham who, for a fee of course, would be willing to help me.
Thanks
Old 5th Feb 2018, 10:25 pm   #2
tracypaper
Octode

Default Re: Extra help needed with Garrard 3000 autochanger

Hi and welcome to the forum.
It sounds to me like some other parts are still gummed up with dried grease and will want removing and cleaning.
The trip Pawl should come off with a little heat from a hairdryer once both eclips (circlips to some) have been removed.
Remember when stripping to take pictures step by step to help with re-assembly.
As an afterthought post a picture of the underside of the deck, there may be a part missing?
Gaz.

Last edited by tracypaper; 5th Feb 2018 at 10:27 pm. Reason: afterthought
Old 6th Feb 2018, 11:40 am   #3
Dazmond
Hexode

I don't know if this helps at all, but I've seen a few of these (and the 1000) where the adjustable stop that attaches to the underside of the arm is missing, thus the mechanism is unable to lift the arm up during automatic operation.

Again not sure if this is your problem, but I thought I'd throw it in.

Thanks,

Darren.
Old 8th Feb 2018, 8:54 pm   #4
D_S_J_R
Heptode

We've talked this to death on here and also the Vinyl Engine Garrard forum 'room.' These mechs survived in the UK a little longer than in the US, but the greases and oils used will ALL now have gone off and in the case of the greases, turned to a glue-like substance. Sorry, the deck will have to come out and be cleaned, partly stripped and put back together with the absolute minimum of replacement grease. The cam service is discussed in the 'stickies' above and removing the platter is easily done with care not to damage the centre trims Garrard used which usually have to be gently prised away before removing the platter retaining clip, *which only goes on one way...* The motor and idler bearings will need something like light machine oil, the main bearing spindle something a little more viscous (motor oil runs away 'apparently'). I daren't make specific recommendations as I got into trouble last time.

Service manuals can be obtained from Vinyl Engine and the universal 'Autoslim derivative' one I've used is the SL65 service manual, which covers most bases mechanically apart from the tonearm and motor.

I like the 3000 very much and it's worth sorting out. I can almost guarantee it's dried greases as long as nobody's been at the deck before. My Gondolier came with a 2025TC but some had 60mk2's and others a steel-platter SP25 II.

Lovely old record player the Gondolier. Mine saw me through the early 70's until I graduated to a proper basic 'HiFi system as my work dictated and it was still running well in 2002 when it went for a fiver at a local auction

Dave
Closed Thread