UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Dec 2017, 9:00 pm   #1
defender
Pentode

Default What's this ? Grundig part

What's this?
It was in with some bits I bought.
It's got Grundig on it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0-02-04-2370ab6a8fea778d4ffe1a09f13c3ffc34e9836905ccd1e95803b36fb37379c2_full.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	154050  
Old 15th Dec 2017, 10:55 pm   #2
TowerRadio
Hexode

Default Re: What's this ? Grundig part

I believe it is a Grundig tape cleaner,the felt pads would slide over the projections on the plastic "fork" and the tape would thread around these.I guess it would be used on Play only? Perhaps too much friction on rewind.Les
Old 15th Dec 2017, 11:09 pm   #3
TowerRadio
Hexode

In the TK248 manual its use is described and it is used at high speed,tape running left to right.The ends of the projections locate in the top plate.Les
Old 15th Dec 2017, 11:55 pm   #4
Reelman
Octode

One of these was supplied, along with a few spare felts with all Grundig reel to reels from the mid 60s onwards to clean the tape during winding. If you look carefully on the left hand side of the head block you will see two small holes in the case by the tape path on relevant machines. The two prongs of the cleaner goes in them but still needs to be held in place by hand.

Peter

(As TowerRadio says...j

Last edited by Reelman; 15th Dec 2017 at 11:56 pm. Reason: Whoops, crossed with TowerRadio...
Old 16th Dec 2017, 12:10 am   #5
defender
Pentode

Thanks for that Les and Peter
Old 16th Dec 2017, 3:01 pm   #6
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: What's this ? Grundig part

Hi,
Aha! You have just answered a question that has puzzled me since 1967 when Dad bought a Grundig TK120. This also has those two little holes. The TK120 was the basic model and didn't come with the cleaner attachment.
Thanks!
Cheers, Pete.
Old 16th Dec 2017, 3:18 pm   #7
Reelman
Octode

Trouble is I never did find a source of replacement felt rings for the cleaner, I ended up washing them when they became too dirty with oxide! Back then we had no local Grundig dealer to obtain them as a spare, even if they were available.
I still use one now occasionally, unfortunately it is all too easy for the cleaner to be flicked out of your hand when winding!

Peter
Old 21st Dec 2017, 3:15 pm   #8
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Like Pete I always looked with some bemusement at the holes on the deck of my TK124. Now I know!
Still after an R/P head for a TK141!
Glyn
Closed Thread