UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jun 2011, 3:04 pm   #1
ed731pdh
Retired Dormant Member

Default Hmv 1122

I usually have a couple of sets in various states of restoration on the bench purely out of state of mind. When one set starts to give me the runaround and I'm in danger of loosing my rag I'll put it to one side and pick up where I left off on another. This one was an interesting one to say the least.

An HMV 1122 fitted with B7g valves turned up in a poor state of repair. There was veneer damage on the lower front curves, general dirt, a large chunk of veneer missing from the mid front right section and what looked initially suspicious of a single woodworm hole turned out to be evidence of the set being used as a dart board at some time. The rear fibre back was in good condition but the insides had a lovely one inch thick mat of congealed fluff endoring all of the works. As challenges go this one was a good one.

Stripping down, the fluff mat was stripped down, followed by entertainment value as the dog chased the fuff balls across the lawn, it was that thick. Underneath was found a surprisingly clean and tidy chassis in very good condition with no rust or scuff damage. The set contained seven waxies which were pretty easy to change up but the valve base under the rectifier valve was slowly turning back into its constituent atoms so a new one was urgently procured from the guys at Langrex up the road at Billingshurst (thanks gents). After reforming the electrolytics and a slow power up the set shot into life and displayed surprising sensitivity when pulling in the stations.

The case was another matter. The existing varnish was in a very poor condition. The case was stripped back to the bare timber, the existing peeled veneer refixed and where badly damaged or missing a new section of veneer was grafted in. If I really felt brave enough the set could have done with a complete re-veneer but I'm not that brave, the point was to make the set presentable and more importantly operational. The replacement veneer sections were sanded in, then stained, followed by several coats of varnish. The light veneer areas were given a coat of satin laquer as per the original condition. Around the speaker grill there was a painted creamy white surround that had crazed and cracked into a poor condition. This was removed, sanded back, then repainted in several layers followed by several coats of satin laquer. The speaker grill cloth was showing signs of wear and as I did not have a suitable replacement to hand it was replaced but will need to be changed up later if it gets any worse.

Operation wise the set is interesting. Internally in the back cover there are two plate aerials made up of foil glued to the fibre. Reception using just these plates is exceptionally good, very so on the shortwave settings but if you plug an external aerial into the rear plug point provided the set really takes off with a high degree on sensitivity and selectivity. I have a 1123 to hand (same chassis but with push button selector) which needs a good going over and for a change I'm looking forward to tackling the set based on the knowledge gleaned from working on this model. Overall, the case is OK, but the performance more than makes up for any cosmetic shortcomings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010034.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	52631   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010035.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	52632   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010037.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	52633   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010038.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	52634  
Old 18th Jun 2011, 3:19 pm   #2
JoshWard
Octode

Default Re: Hmv 1122

Well done , a lovely looking set. I've got one of these (somewhere ) on the to do pile.

Josh.
Old 18th Jun 2011, 3:58 pm   #3
SeanStevens
Octode

Very tidy - nice looking set that - well done
Old 18th Jun 2011, 4:20 pm   #4
phil3153
Triode

Great looking radio, never seen one of these before ,nice job, well done.
Old 18th Jun 2011, 5:38 pm   #5
ed731pdh
Retired Dormant Member

Not one of my better jobs I have to admit, the case had taken a battering. The 1123 looks interesting, the case has "bingo wings".
Old 18th Jun 2011, 7:43 pm   #6
Neil Purling
Nonode

Have you got a shot of the fluff insulation in situ?
I have never had anything anywhere near as dusty.
Old 19th Jun 2011, 12:02 am   #7
Tim
Dekatron

Quote:
I have never had anything anywhere near as dusty.
I have seen a couple of these, both with a rich seam of dust. I think it is the way the back curves round at the top and lets it in.
Old 19th Jun 2011, 2:00 pm   #8
ed731pdh
Retired Dormant Member

Can't help you with photos of the dust level, I was feeling in need of a tetanus shot just from looking at it. Have had the set on all morning listening to the test match on radio 4, excellent sound quality, most impressive.
Closed Thread