UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 13th Jul 2005, 5:30 am   #1
oh2gtk
Retired Dormant Member

Default Philips Matador II (1937)

http://furpile.com/Huutokaupat/Phili...mg_0101_tn.jpg
Klick the image for a bigger one (3.1Mb)

My dear friend Anders donated this radio to me. He classified it as "problem waste". Yikes....

The radio was in excellent condition considering it's age. All electronic parts were working as they should with the exception of the other electrolyte which had dried out.

The case had a lot of scratches on it. It took a packet of cigarettes and a lot of sanding with 1200 grade paper followed by waxing to get rid of them. Now it looks shining new. There is a crack near the right knob (the knobs are not original) whic I glued to prevent it from cracking even more. The crack (and the glue) are invisible under normal lighting conditions - flashlight reveals practically everything....

http://furpile.com/Huutokaupat/Phili...mg_0091_tn.jpg
Klick the image for a bigger one (3.7Mb)

The beauty of this radio lies inside. I think this looks just fantastic.

The radio is missing from the site database - might make some sort of an addition.

More images of this radio can be found here.
Old 13th Jul 2005, 8:03 am   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips Matador II (1937)

HI I think this looks like the Philips V5A, which should be on the CD's.

Ed

Last edited by Duke_Nukem; 13th Jul 2005 at 8:19 am. Reason: Removed duplicat bit of post
Old 12th Aug 2005, 7:05 pm   #3
stephanie
Retired Dormant Member

Question Re: Philips Matador II (1937)

Is there a reason why Philips wrapped the loudspeakers in cloth, back then?

When did they stop doing this, and why?

Nice set! I'm amazed at how they managed to jam all those components in there without a chassis!!
Old 12th Aug 2005, 8:01 pm   #4
jim_beacon
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Philips Matador II (1937)

Most early speakers have a "Dustbag", as the voice coil is not sealed like a modern unit. It was intended to prevent dust from jamming the speaker.

Jim.
Closed Thread