UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Feb 2018, 5:59 pm   #1
paulsherwin

Default Marantz CD42 tray fault

My trusty CD42 CD player has developed a loading tray fault. When the tray opens it immediately closes again. This happens with both the front panel button and the (CD52) remote button.

I haven't taken the top off yet, but I suspect the tray switch isn't closing when the tray is fully open because of dirt or oxidation, resulting in the tray immediately retracting. Does anybody have any tips before I get stuck in?
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 7:59 pm   #2
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Marantz CD42 tray fault

I had a similar problem with a Sony midi HiFi a couple of years ago. The CD tray would close and then open again immediately. That was simply a slipping loading belt. Before I changed the belt I found that the tray would stay closed if I "helped" it a little.

I don't know your Marantz machine but as well as the switch it is possible it is not quite completing the opening operation due to a slipping belt, damaged gears or similar mechanical problem.
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 9:10 pm   #3
paulsherwin

Just to clarify, the fault is the opposite to what you describe - pressing the 'open' button causes the tray to eject normally, but on ejecting fully it immediately retracts again. I think the tray switch is supposed to close when the tray is full extended, and should open again when the tray is pushed from the front, causing it to retract. If the switch is never closing then the behaviour would be as I describe.

Players with this mech are notorious for disintegrating tray eject gear teeth, but I replaced the gear wheel a couple of years ago, and there's nothing to suggest a mechanical problem.
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 9:29 pm   #4
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Just to clarify, the fault is the opposite to what you describe
I did realize that Paul; incomplete closing and incomplete opening give very similar symptoms. In the former case the stable state is tray open and in the other it is tray closed.

I see from a quick "Google" that gear failure is, as you say, quite common with that mech but that gears are still available.

Whatever the cause I am sure you will solve it.
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 10:12 pm   #5
Brettski
Tetrode

I think the cd transport is the CDM4 which is the same as my Philips CD620 and CD630 . Although mine have never chewed the drive wheel, many other peoples have. If you fix the fault and it’s not a belt or cog issue, it’s worth replacing these while your in there. Search cdm4 n EBay.

Too many people shove the tray back into the player. I always press the play button . Maybe that’s why my cogs are in great condition.

Hope you fix it.

Last edited by Brettski; 22nd Feb 2018 at 10:14 pm. Reason: Changed a number
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 10:57 pm   #6
paulsherwin

I changed the tray wheel a couple of years ago. The gear teeth just deteriorate with age, and fitting a replacement is quite easy. Pushing the tray is a legitimate way to close it, as you only need to push it in for a millimetre or so before the tray switch breaks and the tray retracts. It's an odd characteristic of this and related players that the front panel 'open' button doesn't cause the tray to retract if you press it - you have to press the 'play' button (or use the remote).

Actually, this fault is very easy to work around. You either drop the CD in the tray before it retracts, or power off as it comes out, insert the CD, and power back on again.
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 11:21 pm   #7
McMurdo
Dekatron

the tray switches are often open to the air and tarnish readily.
The tray signal is on pin 33 of the servo controller IC6507. It's normally high and the switch pulls it low. If it's not a clean contact you'll get this sort of nonsense.

PS I mean the switch telling the board when the tray's out.
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 11:46 pm   #8
paulsherwin

I'll apply the Servisol tomorrow if it's not too cold in the workshop. I suppose a bit of oxidation is to be expected after nearly 30 years.
Old 25th Feb 2018, 4:26 pm   #9
paulsherwin

I finally got around to taking the cover off today. I gave the switch a good poke with a screwdriver and it's now working properly. Unfortunately there's no access to the switch contacts to apply cleaner without some dismantling, so I'll do that when I have cause to do some other work on it (or the tray goes wrong again). It's not a huge job but I'm feeling lazy today and it's cold
Closed Thread