UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Dec 2017, 11:55 pm   #21
defender
Pentode

Default Re: New tape recorder Tandberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricard View Post
They rectified this after serial number 2209550 by a slight circuit redesign, after which the switches cause very little problems.
serial number from the bottom of the inputs area
Old 28th Dec 2017, 1:33 am   #22
julie_m
Dekatron

Play / Record switches in tape recorders can be as bad as, or even worse than, wavechange switches in radios, measuring by the sheer amount of grief they can cause. (I've never known a dodgy wavechange switch make me forget everything I ever heard on the radio .....)

That said, I've probably just been spoiled with three-head machines! There's nothing wrong in principle with a two-head recorder, if all the switch contacts are working properly; you can save a valve (two even, if you can forego listening through the internal speaker to the source material as you record), and there is something to be said for using the exact same head that recorded something to reproduce that recording .....
Old 28th Dec 2017, 9:14 pm   #23
ricard
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by defender View Post
serial number from the bottom of the inputs area 2214051
That sounds good, it's above 2209550, so hopefully very little will actually need to be done to the switches. Perhaps they just haven't been used for a while, so that just operating them several times may restore them.
Closed Thread