UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Apr 2020, 2:53 pm   #21
jjl
Octode

Default Re: Die pictures

I worked at Applied Materials on software and electronics for ion implant machines from 1998 to 2003.
200mm (8 inch) wafers were the smallest size that the machines I worked on handled during this time. I first worked on a machine that handled 300mm (12 inch) wafers around 2000.

John
Old 8th Apr 2020, 5:33 pm   #22
Oldtestgear
Hexode

Certainly the new equipment was 200 mm & above but many semiconductor manufacturers (especially analog) were still using 4" wafers. We were buying 4" wafer production right up until I Left in 2005. Same story but from different sides.

Phil
Old 1st May 2020, 10:48 pm   #23
Noopy2014
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noopy2014 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
And people say engineering is boring.
But boring (whether it's sinking a well or making a cylinder on a lathe) is certainly part of engineering (Sorry, could not resist).

Getting on-topic, have you found any little cartoons or text on the dice? I am told that the MicroVAX CPU chip (at least one version) has a comment in Russian on it, for example.
I found some artwork... Have to search again on my website...
The STM32 has some strange figures:
https://richis-lab.de/STM32_02.htm
https://richis-lab.de/images/STM32/02_05.jpg

You want to see silicon artwork? Today I found a dog (?) in a HP4401A:
Dog
The whole Story...
Old 2nd May 2020, 11:56 am   #24
Radio Wrangler

The letters HP in a heart is not surprising because this is a product line developed and made by HP's Loveland division, at Loveland in Colorado. They were quite aggressive at moving into product areas supposedly allocated to other divisions. The other divisions thought they got away with murder.

The other divisions in Colorado were 'the Springs' or Colorado Springs which did scopes and logic analysers. Fort Collins did something in computing that I was never involved with.

There were plenty of tensions within HP and a fair dose of inter-divisional rivalry. It behaved more like an industry than as a single company.

Look up John Wastle's memoir on the HP memory website. They published it pretty much as is, though a few names were changed although those in the know can decode them. It makes fascinating reading. I knew John for many years and yep, he's telling it like it was. Red in tooth and claw!

David
Old 2nd May 2020, 12:01 pm   #25
Noopy2014
Tetrode

Thanks a lot! Very interesting!