UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Aug 2020, 1:17 am   #1
3rdworlder
Triode

Default Akai AA-1135 Receiver issues

Here again friends, trying to solve a couple of problems with my receiver to have everything working properly with my stereo.

Last night the last one of the dial bulbs died on me. The system has three lamps, and there was only one working. Now there is no light over the dial. I've bought lamps for it last summer, but they were 12v not 8v, so they're of no use for me, sadly.

This is how it looked like last summer:

[IMG]https://i.**********/d6eZmxW.jpg[/IMG]

Now, I know kids nowadays like to use color leds with classic hi-fi equipment. I'm too old for that, I just want the receiver to be as 1978 stock as possible, so leds doesn't do for me. Where can I find the right bulbs for it?

The second issue might a bit more complex to solve and that would be the tuner's balance. I have no problems when using the CD, or turntable, or even the AUX to make the DVD go with the receiver, but when I use the Tuner, the left channel isn't as powerful as the right one when delivering full stereo. When I change the mode to "mono" then both channels perform perfectly. And when I change the selector from "FM stereo" to "FM mono" doesn't made a difference. There's certainly something wrong with that, and I have no clue what would be. Anybody in the know?

That's for now. Any ideas will be welcome. Thnks and hope you will have a good Thursday!
Old 10th Aug 2020, 10:44 am   #2
John_BS
Octode

Default Re: Akai AA-1135 Receiver issues

1. You could buy 6v bulbs and add a suitable dropper resistor.
2. The tuner fault will most likely be confined to the circuitry around the outputs of IC4 ( pins 4 & 5) and transistor TR4 & 5 buffers. Check DC's thro this part of the circuit. Lower probability the switch contacts which select the tuner outputs.

John
Old 11th Aug 2020, 1:09 am   #3
3rdworlder
Triode

Default Re: Akai AA-1135 Receiver issues

Thank you for your ideas and help, John.

I've located bulbs for my receiver, but sadly nobody wants to ship to my country. I can not believe how hard it is to locate 8V lamps nowadays.

Regarding the tuner's balance problem, I was expecting a bit of deoxit would take away the glitch. I would not like to touch the circuits myself, as I could ruin the whole thing.

[img]https://i.**********/aH1uBV3.jpg[/img]

Have a good Tuesday!
Closed Thread