UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Aug 2020, 4:31 pm   #1
eddie_ce
Hexode

Default Anyone remember a radio shop in Maidenhead?

After reading various posts about long lost radio shops I thought I'd start this thread.

As a young lad I used to spend almost all of my pocket money at a small radio shop in Maidenhead, if I remember correctly on Queen Street, it was a long time ago.

They would sell individual components and I remember how I bought my first electric soldering iron, much to the displeasure of my parents and also my first valve, I think it was a DAF91 for a one valve receiver buit in a plastic sandwich box.

Unfortunately I have forgotten the name of the shop, alas probably long since gone, I couldn't find it on my last visit to Maidenhead. Does anyone by chance know what the shop was called?
Old 6th Aug 2020, 6:13 pm   #2

Default Re: Anyone remember a radio shop in Maidenhead

RK audio (later, and video), they went quite a while ago. The last thing I got from them was a stylus for the misses (miss, plural) Bolting (sisters of the famous director) for their radiogram. Five minute job, three hour visit, eating home made cake, drinking sherry, and listening to some very saucy tales, good thing that I walked there! They died a few months later within a week or so of each other, I am glad to have given them some music for that time. I didn't want or need paying (the stylus was £2.75, why do I remember that?) even so I got a £5 M&S voucher in the post, bottle of wine time.

Absolute game girls even in their 80's, thank you for reminding me, big smile on face now. That must have been before 2000.

Old 7th Aug 2020, 8:01 am   #3
eddie_ce
Hexode

Default Re: Anyone remember a radio shop in Maidenhead

MM - thank you for that information. It was in the mid 60's when I used to shop there. It was what I would call an old fashioned shop. What I can remember is that they had quite a selection of radiospares parts in the shop display.

Unfortunately the memory is a lot more volatile than it used to be. The names Church's or French seem to ring a bell, but as often happens I might be barking up the wrong tree.
Old 9th Aug 2020, 10:51 am   #4
Station X

Default Re: Anyone remember a radio shop in Maidenhead?

Six posts moved to this thread:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=93489

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread