UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Aug 2020, 10:01 pm   #21
Hartley118
Nonode

Default Re: Decca Stereo Decola information

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojDW48 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley118 View Post
That big elliptical woofer looks pretty cramped in its small reflex box and, as for those multiple tweeters, today’s philosophy would suggest that a one inch dome tweeter would give a less directional response than all those paper cone units.
Martin
Not tweeters - all mid range drivers and, as I noted earlier, the breadth of the stereo image was extraordinary. There was a facility to add tweeters - switched jack sockets in the x-overs, which diverted the HF to the plugged in tweeters. I tried it, of course, but the result was deeply disappointing - that wide soundstage disappeared as the tweeters took over responsibility for directionality. The bass reflex cabs were suspended on foam blocks (I replaced with springs - likewise the rather lovely Collaro transcription unit) and all the internal framing was hardwood. I think we may safely assume Decca encountered a problem or two with really quite deep bass cabs in the same box as the TT !!
So there was a bit of magic after all. Do we happen to know the crossover frequency?

I’d forgotten that it used the excellent Collaro 4TR200 transcription turntable. Excellent choice if you don’t need variable speed.

Martin
Old 8th Aug 2020, 12:02 am   #22
RojDW48
Nonode

I don't know what the x-over frequencies were. The Stereo Decola initially used the Mk1 FFSS cart, which was only good for about 12KHz. Maybe they were accommodating planned developments in the cartridge? ISTR the Mk 111 hit a dizzy 18KHz - I fitted mine but, as I didn't use the tweeter facility, it didn't make a lot of difference. That Collaro deck was a beauty - its weakness was its minimalism. If you didn't switch the speed control to 'off' the idler remained in contact with the drive spindle. Bumpity bumpity bump went mine! Happily the auto side idler from a humble Collaro autochanger was a perfect fit (and the one from the Decola ran the auto side of the autochanger - happy days).
Old 8th Aug 2020, 9:17 am   #23
rontech
Heptode

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RojDW48 View Post
Quote:
That big elliptical woofer looks pretty cramped in its small reflex box and, as for those multiple tweeters, today’s philosophy would suggest that a one inch dome tweeter would give a less directional response than all those paper cone units.
Martin
Not tweeters - all mid range drivers and, as I noted earlier, the breadth of the stereo image was extraordinary. There was a facility to add tweeters - switched jack sockets in the x-overs, which diverted the HF to the plugged in tweeters. I tried it, of course, but the result was deeply disappointing - that wide soundstage disappeared as the tweeters took over responsibility for directionality. The bass reflex cabs were suspended on foam blocks (I replaced with springs - likewise the rather lovely Collaro transcription unit) and all the internal framing was hardwood. I think we may safely assume Decca encountered a problem or two with really quite deep bass cabs in the same box as the TT !!
So there was a bit of magic after all. Do we happen to know the crossover frequency?

I’d forgotten that it used the excellent Collaro 4TR200 transcription turntable. Excellent choice if you don’t need variable speed.

Martin

I had a Collaro 4TR200 from 1958 - 1974 Completely reliable! Replaced it with a Garrard 401. Both long gone unfortunately.
Old 8th Aug 2020, 9:55 am   #24
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

After all these iterations, we've heard no more from the O.P.
I wondered if we've now "lost" him or not answered his original query sufficiently, especially as recently there have been some higher-end DECCA portables online at very low prices....
Old 8th Aug 2020, 11:37 am   #25
barretter
Heptode

Decolas are not very portable!
Old 8th Aug 2020, 12:57 pm   #26
AC/HL
Dekatron

That was a throwaway aside on the OPs part, best reposted as a wanted thread to avoid mixed messaging.
Old 8th Aug 2020, 1:24 pm   #27
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Referring back to Post#1, you'll see that the O.P. is on the lookout for a Deccalian 88 - hence my comment.
Old 8th Aug 2020, 3:50 pm   #28
Jamiesjamies
Diode

Hello everyone. Thank you for the interesting replies and information so far! I have had a busy few days, capped off by mowing through my lawnmower cable this morning!

Edward, to answer your original question, I have very little experience of valve audio equipment. When I was about 8 my cousin, who had 2 valve radiograms, (no idea which models) gave me a copy of The laughing gnome” by David Bowie which I used to get up early to play on one of his grams when I stayed there! I think he may have regretted that gift!

Most of my favoured music (I’m 40 now) is post 1980 and I am happy to listen via my modern equipment. However, for earlier music, such as the Beatles, Dylan and increasingly, some classical recordings, I am fascinated, from a musical, audio, and historical point of view, by not just the music but the hifi of the time.

My first record player was a Fidelity HF (45? Beige lid) which I guess would have had transistors, it was a hand me down and fuelled my obsession with records, record players and music at an early age. Having always had modest equipment, I think of how Stereo was the preserve of the older, more affluent consumer in its early days. How LPs such as the Beatles first album in Stereo was special order only, and how the HMV/Columbia/Decca et al classical pressings are prized to this day. For me it would be impractical to own a Decola and the kinds of records I would like to play on it. But a Deccalian 88 ,with the Collaro changer, and some period Mono singles, would give a taste of what records could sound like, at the time they came out, without modern interference. The mixture of analogue and digital go side by side for me.

Apologies for a long winded post, but I just wanted to explain why I posted, as I am a layman, in technology terms. I am fascinated by your posts and the collective knowledge on here. Going back to the Decola, I would love to hear one sometime, and I’m guessing the only real flaw is the speakers being in the same enclosure. Perhaps the deck, amps and pickup married to some quad electrostatics or Decca kelly speakers would be an improvement.

And finally, yes, lately there has been a plethora of Decca portables on eBay! Including a rather nice Deram 205, but, from reading many threads on here and my own research, I think the 88 is the one to have, or a Pye Achoic for Stereo!

Hi there. This is my first post on the forum. I have been lurking for awhile and have learned a lot from various threads. I don’t currently have any vintage HiFi but have become slightly obsessed with Decca equipment, and am on the lookout for a near mint Deccalian 88. I am posting, though, because for me the pinnacle is the Decca Stereo Decola. I have seen period adverts for it and as well as the common design that we all know, it says “contemporary style will be available.” I just wondered if anybody knows if any were made in a different style, or if there are any special order finishes in existence, for example an old Bonhams listing had the mono Decola and TV in special order bleached birds eye maple, it was gorgeous! So any thoughts, information or knowledge on this amazing piece of HiFi history would be most welcome!
Old 14th Aug 2020, 1:33 pm   #29
Jamiesjamies
Diode

My previous message may not have been visible as the thread was split. I think I confused things asking for people’s recollection of the Decola whilst simultaneously saying I was on the lookout for a Deccalian! That was just in passing. Any information or anecdotes on the a Decola Stereo would be most welcome, particularly if anyone can confirm the existence of the so called “contemporary cabinet” that was trumpeted on the promotional material. Either way, I just wanted to say thanks for the comments and advice.
Old 14th Aug 2020, 3:24 pm   #30
AC/HL
Dekatron

That was the intention, but the forum software had other ideas and I gave up! I suggest you raise a wanted thread for the Deccalian, you never know?
Closed Thread