UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Old 14th Mar 2024, 6:23 pm   #1
clay shooter
Pentode

Default Pye PCR transformer output voltage??

I have a Pye PCR with a faulty transformer ,it smokes after 30 seconds or so, I have a couple of transformers that MAY suffice as a replacement,
What's should the output voltage be for HT & LT for this set?.
The scematic I have doesn't give any voltages and I don't want to send 220v where only 90 should go !
Old 14th Mar 2024, 6:34 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Pye PCR transformer output voltage??

The valve lineup is pretty well established as needing around 250V HT, I have several PCR receivers here and they seem happy with anything between 220 and 260V HT.

LT was originally wired for 12V but most PCRs will have been reworked with all the valves in parallel to work with a 6.3V heater supply.
Old 14th Mar 2024, 6:42 pm   #3
clay shooter
Pentode

I assume that it's 6.3v for the valve heater's ?.
I've had this set " under the bench for 25 year's or so!
Something always seems to get in the way of fixing it . But now is it's time !!
Old 14th Mar 2024, 7:00 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay shooter View Post
I assume that it's 6.3v for the valve heater's ?.
I've had this set " under the bench for 25 year's or so!
Something always seems to get in the way of fixing it . But now is it's time !!
The original PCR power-supply was an external unit designed to run off either a 12V battery or AC mains; the valves were accordingly wired in a series-parallel network so they could be fed direct from a 12V vehicle battery but still get the needed 6.3V +/- 10% or so.

When these radios were sold on as surplus, there were several companies that reworked them to include a mains PSU inside the case, the transformer was invariably only equipped with a 6.3V LT winding so the valves were rewired from their series-parallel-for-12V setup to all-in-parallel.

Have a look here: https://www.cryptomuseum.com/spy/pcr/files/pcr_tech.pdf - for the various manuals.
Old 14th Mar 2024, 7:54 pm   #5
clay shooter
Pentode

Thanks , this one has the separate PSU, minus the original lead and rubber plugs, looking inside both units everything looks to be original, I've sorted out what I think will be a suitable transformer replacement, it will be tested and hopefully fitted tomorrow ,then we'll see if it still works as it did before the transformer died ..
Incidentally the transformer had a paper label on it saying "rewound June 1945" !!