UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Oct 2018, 4:10 pm   #1
Hoddbod
Retired Dormant Member

Exclamation DIY. Idler wheels

Hi. I saw on the forum some pictures of home made Garrard idler wheels. But there was no mention of the items used or how to go about making them.Is it possible to do the same sort of thing for BSR wheels.
Hodbodd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001 (1).jpg
Views:	229
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	171079  

Last edited by Hoddbod; 15th Oct 2018 at 4:11 pm. Reason: misspelt
Old 15th Oct 2018, 4:27 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: DIY. Idler wheels

BSR 40mm diameter Idler Wheels are often seen for sale on ebay. Far better to use these.
Old 16th Oct 2018, 2:46 pm   #3
Hoddbod
Retired Dormant Member

Hi. Yes i agree but they are expensive. The one on my machine is OK.But it appears they can be home made. I would like to have a go at making one just to see if it is possible.
Regards,
Hoddbod
Old 16th Oct 2018, 5:32 pm   #4
OldTechFan96
Octode

It looks to be a 3D printed plastic surround that has been attached to the metal part of an idler wheel. With a rubber belt glued around the outside.
Old 16th Oct 2018, 7:19 pm   #5
leslie5555
Heptode

Hello Hoddbod,
I made that , it is made from acetal with a rubber o ring stretched over a groove that is machined into the outer diameter.
After removing the old rubber from the metal ring I then machine the acetal wheel on a lathe to a precise size to fit the metal part , an o ring groove is machined into the o/d so as the rubber o ring is a snug fit into the groove.
Holes are then drilled into the acetal wheel so the small bolts can be inserted with the nuts to hold it all together.
I have done a few of these and they work perfectly well.

I have never used this method on a bsr wheel so can't really answer your question
Cheers Les.
Old 18th Oct 2018, 2:09 pm   #6
ben
Dekatron

Nice bit of 'future proofing' there, Les - instead of having to rebuild the whole idler, which means sending it off and waiting and paying, one just changes the O ring. You thinking of making these commercially?
Old 19th Oct 2018, 2:41 pm   #7
leslie5555
Heptode

Hi Ben I can only make these occasionally as the lathe is not mine, but I would think there would be a market out there with potential to sell quite a few.
Closed Thread