UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Dec 2018, 10:53 pm   #1
kalee20
Dekatron

Default Wireless Christmas - Radio 2 Sunday 23rd

Just listening to this programme right now, presented by Barry Humphries.

He's not at all my favourite personality, but this one-off programme is well researched, mainly vintage records with a common link to radio programmes of yesterday. As part of the linking, he's adding some historical info.

I'm particularly impressed that he gave credit to Prof. Fessenden for the first-ever broadcast programme. Well done!
Old 24th Dec 2018, 11:22 am   #2
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.
Default Re: Wireless Christmas - Radio 2 Sunday 23rd

Thanks very much for flagging this up Kalee It slipped through my Media Watch monitoring system somehow. "Why don't Santi Claus bring something to me?" and "The spooning of the knife and fork" clever and amusing vintage fare. Same idea as Dylan and Theme Time Radio really. I've got Barry on video, as the derelict Ozzie "Cultural Ambassador" Les Patterson, visiting John Betjeman in Chelsea-what a hoot! A really interesting radio round up! Barry Humphries, Germaine Greer and Clive James are three of Australia's finest exports. [See the C James interview with Mary Beard from Friday BBC2]! An extraordinary amount of intellectual depth and ability there-no wonder they had to leave

Dave
Old 24th Dec 2018, 12:58 pm   #3
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Wireless Christmas - Radio 2 Sunday 23rd

Listened to, and enjoyed the program this morning. Good to hear mention of Fessenden as an (almost) forgotten radio pioneer, and also to hear gems such as the verse of 'White Christmas, etc. (didn't catch 'The spooning of the Knife & Fork!).n I was mildly amused by barry's insistence on the spelling 'programme', rather than 'program', too!!
Closed Thread