UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Nov 2018, 2:33 pm   #1
G4YVM David
Heptode

Default This is worth listening to

For anyone with an interest in radio signals, or who has had shivvers down the spine when listening to the radio late at night, THIS is worth listening to.

D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0000xy9
Old 9th Nov 2018, 5:10 pm   #2
Aub
Nonode

Default Re: This is worth listening to

It's telling me I need to sign in. I will do it later.
Old 9th Nov 2018, 6:25 pm   #3
G4YVM David
Heptode

Its a thirty minute programme by Laurie Taylor. Very interesting
Old 9th Nov 2018, 6:30 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

It demanded I "sign in". Why should I need to sign in to listen to something that's already been broadcast??
Old 9th Nov 2018, 6:41 pm   #5
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

They need to know you have licence,and yes I find it annoying as like most of us I have a licence.

As a public service, we want to make sure the BBC is the best it can be for everyone. That’s why we’re making it more personal.
Old 9th Nov 2018, 7:03 pm   #6
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

I heard this programme, "Tracking The Lincolnshire Poacher" when it was first broadcast in 2005.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvr6o7fBcTY

I thought it was very well done, not only for the facts presented as far as anyone knew any facts, but also the way it portrayed the feeling of intercepting these messages for the first time, the mystery of them and that strangeness that the spectrum between about 2 and 5 MHz once had.

The programme seemed to capture what I felt when I first encountered these messages as an impressionable teenager, and at last, the BBC, effectively an arm of HMG, has publicly acknowledged their existence and we no longer have to be quite so careful about talking about them on amateur radio or in web forums.

Last edited by Graham G3ZVT; 9th Nov 2018 at 7:27 pm.
Old 9th Nov 2018, 8:05 pm   #7
The Philpott
Dekatron

As part of building the atmosphere the Ghost in the Machine transmission includes a faint clip of the last transmission of the female Russian cosmonaut who perished on re-entry (of which the Russians subsequently denied the existence of, as 'no humans had yet been into orbit') Also to be heard is a short blip-clip of the fantastic incidental music from the film 'Session 9'- recommended viewing not only for the soundtrack, but for the content.

It's interesting the comparison they make between ears and eyes and the amount of sensory nodes therein; i have always regarded the human eyes as amazing, but the ears and the sinuses as unfinished evolutionary projects! Auditory hallucinations and illusions seem to be more common than visual.

The woman who discovered song in her speech shouldn't be surprised; her speech contains an unusual rise and fall that is frequently going to create these phenomena if she records, loops, and listens back. As regards paredolia and simulcra, as a young kid i sometimes spent lunchtimes in the playing field studying the clouds looking for the constant changes; very relaxing... At least it was, until a face of such precision formed that it really shook me! This really surprised me, yet in hindsight it need not have done since i had spent sufficient time looking at cu-nims and all their brethren that sooner or later a coincidental arrangement would form and my mind would surely fill in any small gaps. (Especially as an 8yr old)

Dave
Old 9th Nov 2018, 8:33 pm   #8
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post
They need to know you have licence,and yes I find it annoying as like most of us I have a licence.

As a public service, we want to make sure the BBC is the best it can be for everyone. That’s why we’re making it more personal.
I don't need any licence to listen to the radio.... so why should I need to 'sign in' and provide personal details to listen to this?
Old 9th Nov 2018, 8:33 pm   #9
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Philpott View Post

It's interesting the comparison they make between ears and eyes and the amount of sensory nodes therein; i have always regarded the human eyes as amazing, but the ears and the sinuses as unfinished evolutionary projects! Auditory hallucinations and illusions seem to be more common than visual.
The Soviet jammers who blocked reception of the BBC Overseas Russian service pre-Glasnost were dab-hands at messing with your head. Their jamming signals, which were on-air within seconds, sounded like voices but weren't, although they fooled the brain into thinking they were.

I notice at the start of that programme one of the 'god-botherer hell-fire and brimstone' broadcasters was heard interfering with another broadcast. These programmes were broadcast from Skelton, whose owners post-BBC were contracted to 'Family Radio' and other U.S. based religious broadcasters who had the money to maintain such transmissions.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 9th Nov 2018, 8:46 pm   #10
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

YouTube not being a radio might be why we have to sign in? Plus the BBC quote.
Old 9th Nov 2018, 8:47 pm   #11
Station X

Please can we the discus the radio programme rather than the licence fee and the need to sign in to the BBC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamishBoxer View Post

I don't need any licence to listen to the radio.... so why should I need to 'sign in' and provide personal details to listen to this?

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 9th Nov 2018, 9:07 pm   #12
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Yes indeed, I have to say all these number stations fascinate me and I believe are still out there.
Old 9th Nov 2018, 9:50 pm   #13
Radio Wrangler

I'll listen to the clangers in a whole new light.

The patterns in sound that we interpret as words are a whole lot simpler than you'd think from the amount of information capacity needed to convey the sounds themselves. Consequently, it doesn't take much in random noises, to produce the impression of a word, and therefore the impression of a word comes along more frequently than you would expect. The human brain is a pattern recognition engine par excellence and treats anything patternless as a challenge.

"Oh s@d it, the bl@@dy thing's stuck again!". in swanee whistle-speak. Love it!

David
Old 10th Nov 2018, 1:36 am   #14
m0cemdave
Octode

Somewhere I have a Flexidisk of auditory illusions with an academic paper by Diana Deutsch, one of the best known researchers on the subject. I think it's in an issue of the AES Journal.

A quick internet search finds that a lot of her demonstations are now available online:

http://deutsch.ucsd.edu/psychology/pages.php?i=201
Old 10th Nov 2018, 8:01 am   #15
G4YVM David
Heptode

Glad you found the prog interesting, i certainly did. The lorry /yani thing is intriguing...I can only hear it my way no matter how hard I try.

Id like to bet that people IMAGINE optical illusions are more common that auditory because we place more importance on sight. Its probably why we get all excited when we see faces on Mars and writing on moon rocks, but not so when we hear things.

I read once that the song of the sirens is caused by the sound if the sea having all frequencies in it...the brain struggles to make sense of the white noise but eventually does...as voices.

As for session 9, i must look that up.

David
Old 10th Nov 2018, 9:45 am   #16
stitch1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4YVM David View Post
For anyone with an interest in radio signals, or who has had shivvers down the spine when listening to the radio late at night, THIS is worth listening to.

D

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0000xy9
Thanks for sharing I enjoyed it. It was lorry for me

John
Old 10th Nov 2018, 10:30 am   #17
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

I've just listened to that program. Quite fascinating. It was 'lorry' for me, too.
Old 10th Nov 2018, 1:47 pm   #18
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Fascinating: thanks for sending it in. At one point, a researcher claimed that it is easier to trick the hearing of humans than it is to trick the eye. For myself, that is contradictory to my experience.

Al.
Old 10th Nov 2018, 5:39 pm   #19
Ken
Hexode

Just downloaded it using get-iplayer on a raspberry pi. Looking forward to listening to it later tonight.

Regards,

Ken.
Old 11th Nov 2018, 3:06 pm   #20
G4YVM David
Heptode

I just read the imdb about Session 9...i shall.pass on that rather scary one...����
Closed Thread