UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th May 2015, 3:01 pm   #1
avocollector
Heptode

Default 1968ish BBC Radio1 Folk music programme

Hopefully the moderators will indulge me in this but when young I used to listen to BBC One radio 'Folk on a Sunday' music programmes around 1-2 in the afternoon way back in 1968-70 on Sundays.

I've searched as well as I am able but can find little or no information on these programmes on the internet. Has anyone seen any, anywhere, as BBC don't seem to respond to emails?

I'm interested in the UK performers of the period that I used to listen to - buckets of info on youtube for American 60's performances but far less on UK people of the same period, with some exceptions like Wizz Jones or John Renbourne. Sadly I cannot remember a lot of the names of the performers.
Old 11th May 2015, 5:35 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: 1968ish BBC Radio1 Folk music programme

Please keep strictly on topic here, the request is quite specific.
Old 11th May 2015, 6:54 pm   #3
ms660
Dekatron

According to this article (scroll down to the radio bit)

Folk on Friday started in 1970, it was changed to Folk on Sunday later on, Jim Lloyd was the presenter.

I have vague memories of the program from then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folk_music_of_England

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 11th May 2015 at 6:55 pm. Reason: woke up and inserted link
Old 11th May 2015, 6:56 pm   #4
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

The BBC Genome site has the Radio Times listings:-

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/search/0/...a=radio#search

Regards, Mick.
Old 11th May 2015, 8:52 pm   #5
Restoration73
Nonode

Sanctuary released a 2 CD set of a series by Pentangle, made from recordings made by
fans during this period of radio 1 broadcasts.
Old 11th May 2015, 11:39 pm   #6
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I've got Whizz Jones [1969] although on the John Peel program not Folk on Sunday but I do remember it along with other genres[Jazz /blues] on Sunday afternoons. It's probaly not specific enough so feel free to pm me AC [NZ]. I presume that Folk On Friday morphed into Folk On 2 eventually
Dave

I remember being at [I think] the last Folk on Two in 1998 in the Library Theatre Manchester with Jim Lloyd at the helm and Carolyn Hester on stage. After that it was titled after the next presenter as per Lawrences link-almost as controversial as Mr Harding being replaced in due course!

Last edited by dave walsh; 11th May 2015 at 11:46 pm.
Old 12th May 2015, 10:43 am   #7
SteveCG
Nonode

I too would be fascinated in finding out this info too (esp the 1970/71 period). I made recordings at 1 7/8 IPS - the programme must have on the MW then for me to do that) - but the dreaded tape oxide decay carried them away...
Closed Thread