UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Sep 2016, 6:18 pm   #1
Andy gw0jxm
Retired Dormant Member

Default Help with a Panasonic DRM EZ48V DVD

Hi guy’s I hope someone can point me in the right direction.
My problem is with a Panasonic DVD recorder/player. I’ve had a Panasonic DRM EZ48V for some years now and the DVD side of the unit is giving trouble.
When I put any DVD in it has several attempts at reading the disc and eventually comes up with a ‘No Read’ notice.
It makes the same ‘trying’ sound when I wake the machine up from power off, even with no disc in disc in the carriage. The DVD side of the unit seems to be looking for a disc.
I’ve cleaned the optics but I am pretty sure that this problem is associated with some discs I bought and tried to use. This machine has the ability to use DVD-RAM discs which are great as you can watch and pause a program you’re recording like a hard drive. I had been using Memorex DVD-RAM discs for a long time with no problem and then a purchased another type, I think they were ITT discs and this problem occurred. From the bit of research I’ve done it seems that there is a known problem whereby some discs can corrupt the player’s software.
So the question is, is there anyway I can reset the operating software on a DRM EZ48V
I have reset the unit to the ‘As shipped’ condition with the remote control unit but this only resets the channel data not the operating system.
If anyone has a handle on this problem I’d be pleased to hear from them.
Kind Regards . . . . Andy
GW0JXM
Old 2nd Sep 2016, 7:00 pm   #2
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Default Re: Help with a Panasonic DRM EZ48V DVD

The laser will be duff, cheap discs force the laser to stress then the fine wires that move the lens break.

You could try and find another one on eBay to salvage for bits, but more than likely it will have the same issue. If you're brave open it up, and get the make and model no. Of the laser and see if it's available on its own new. It may be a common part used in several different makes of machine.
Old 2nd Sep 2016, 7:33 pm   #3
Andy gw0jxm
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the input. I only queried the other discs as the problem was coincident with the new discs, they were by the way supposed to be a professional quality DVD-RAM and when I looked into it I found some information about the issue of some discs corrupting the operating system of said recorder but I can’t find that information now. I'm pretty sure that the discs were from ITT, white wrapper with sky blue writing. I guess it could just have been coincidence that a wire should break on the first try on a new disc but the funny thing is I’ve had another disc from someone that cased ‘Reading’ problems on another recorder (another Panasonic DMR PWT530) but that fault cleared on the next power up. So, I take your point but I’d still like to hear if anyone knows anything about the corruption.
Regards . . Andy
Old 2nd Sep 2016, 8:04 pm   #4
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Hi Andy. I can't offer much technical advice but Panasonic machines can be great-except when they are not. I've noticed recognition problems but it hasn't shut a machine down entirely. Go to you Tube. There's a bloke very dissatisfied on a posting titled Malfunctiong... re your model. There 's other postings and comments as well including advice to use minus blanks rather than positive ones.

DVDR's do seem to favour one type of blank after a while. Most of my experiences have been with the recorder shutting down. The E55 is renowned for this or re-cyling it's start up check endlessly. It seems the cure is a new [ridiculously very cheap] voltage regulator. I was donated 2 of these that worked-then didn't so I will try that. I've also got the last model they'll make [I think] the EX86. It works but has started shutting down sometimes. It's a shame because Panasonic was a good brand and I've found they often playback VHS [esp LP] tapes that others won't for example.

I wouldn't give up at this stage. I didn't think there was any hope with the E55's. It's a shame they fail like this though. My best one is reconditioned and off the market.
Dave W

Last edited by AC/HL; 3rd Sep 2016 at 3:26 pm. Reason: OT aside edited
Old 3rd Sep 2016, 4:59 pm   #5
paulsherwin

This is an odd story which I hadn't heard before. Panasonic co developed DVD-RAM - it was their technology during the recordable DVD wars of the 90s. Even late model Panasonic recorders work better with DVD-RAM than anything else. It seems very unlikely that a faulty DVD-RAM could corrupt the system firmware, though I suppose a rogue disc could have hit an obscure bug somewhere.

My suspicion is that your optical block is just becoming knackered. They do work hard in these machines.
Old 3rd Sep 2016, 5:28 pm   #6
Marconi_MPT4
Heptode

I have a DMR-ES20 currently on the bench and all non-Panasonic electrolytic capacitors on the power supply board have burst! Not sure why Panasonic fitted alternative parts, might have been production supply issues or just simply saving money. Worth checking as supply regulation is affected!

Rich
Old 3rd Sep 2016, 6:09 pm   #7
John123
Heptode

Weren't these machines manufactured by Daewoo? That might explain the problem with the electrolytics.

We had a Panasonic DMR-EX85 which was our main recording workhorse, and operated flawlessly. Only sold it last year to upgrade to one of their Blu-Ray HDD recorders.
Old 4th Sep 2016, 6:44 am   #8
dsergeant
Octode

First of all chaps, get the model number right - it is DMR-EZ48V. It is most unlikely the unit has been damaged by the DVD disks, I have never heard of this and is probably just an internet rumour. But the DVD modules in these Panasonic machines are well known for failing, I have seen them all the time. Yours tends to suggest a faulty laser assembly, which you may be able to source from various places. The official Panasonic spare is to replace the complete DVD assembly and its drive electronics together as a pair, these have always been prohibitively expensive at over £200 trade and now almost certainly NLA because of the age of the units.

Yes these machines do suffer from cap failure (usually the ones under the DVD-RAM module) but they don't cause these symptoms.

Dave
Old 4th Sep 2016, 10:15 am   #9
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Check Ebay for a DVD module.
Old 4th Sep 2016, 12:31 pm   #10
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Forum member Gavtech suggested cleaning the rubber insert on the disc turntable with IPA when my older Panasonic had similar symptoms. It looked like new and I was most sceptical, but it worked a treat and the machine is still working 5+ years later. It has needed some new electrolytics though.
Old 4th Sep 2016, 1:18 pm   #11
Mike Fulton
Pentode

You can buy a pickup from CHS in york - I've fitted dozens of these without any problems and it's very straightforward. Panasonic reckon the mech needs to be matched to the electronics but I've never had a problem.
Closed Thread