UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jun 2015, 10:05 am   #21
Station X

Default Re: Absolute Radio 1197kHz.

My local Smooth Radio transmitter on 1170kHz is about five miles away. I can receive the third harmonic on 3510kHz.

No idea whether it's a transmitter problem or rusty bolt effect.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 1st Jun 2015, 12:20 pm   #22
Junk Box Nick
Octode

I am about 15 miles from Wychbold and yesterday afternoon listened for harmonics on different receivers (one of which is a Racal RA117) using the short length of wire that hangs from the curtain rail as an aerial and could find no sign on any set.

Nick
Old 1st Jun 2015, 1:55 pm   #23
G4XWDJim
Octode

Thanks for the report Nick. Do you have overhead or underground phone lines.

Jim
Old 1st Jun 2015, 2:27 pm   #24
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Hi Jim

Overhead phone cables here.

Fortunately my neighbours were not using what ever it is that radiates nasties via the mains wiring so I had a reasonably quiet background when I checked and there seemed nothing untoward as far as I could tell.

Nick
Old 1st Jun 2015, 7:33 pm   #25
hannahs radios
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid tellies View Post
I would imagine that you would get co channel interference between Bournemouth and Torbay especially as the latter is a nice straight sea path. Looking at the coverage map the best signal for you would be 1215Khz from Washford. Try using the directional property of the frame or ferrite rod aerial to null out the Droitwich or Brookmans Park signal.
I will give 1215 Kc,/s a go I I initially chose 1197 because its more usable at night. Unfortunately the 500 KW tx in Gjirokastra in Albania makes 247 unusable at night. Suppose I should watch telly instead! With regard to harmonics there is a video on YouTube by buchenlander where he demonstrates the harmonics of the 1000 KW iasi tx on 1053 Kc/s its an interesting video. I wonder if the telephone network problem mentioned might be due to a faulty lightning arrestor on the end of an old circuit somewhere. I live near a radio 1 VHF relay on 99.6 and can here its second d harmonic but no others sorry I know its FM and there for not real radio
Old 5th Jun 2015, 11:46 pm   #26
gary_crutchley
Heptode

I listen to Absolute Radio on a couple of my vintage sets, and the reception is very variable. As it's a modern station it is a very narrow wave band, so with the sensitivity of 1950's tuners, I find it difficult to hit peak signal.

Oddly here in the West Midlands (signal out of Droitwich I assume), during the day I have no issues with reception of Absolute Radio. But at night I get regular distortion, I've had it on all of my vintages sets, and even on AM on my car radio. So I reckon it must be "them not us"!

Gary
Old 6th Jun 2015, 1:30 am   #27
paulsherwin

As I said back in #2, this is not a new development. Growing up in Stoke we used to get an awful R1 signal, presumably because Droitwitch and Moorside Edge were interfering with each other.
Old 6th Jun 2015, 7:12 am   #28
Restoration73
Nonode

Distortion caused by multiple reception (ground wave and sky wave) of different transmitters affect Absolute here, although Brookmans Park (1215) is local, at times the weaker Guildford (1260) sounds better ; exactly the same with Talksport (1089) where the weaker Duxford (1107) sounds better even in daylight.
You could try going to a high spot to receive the London FM service on 105.8 though !
Old 7th Jun 2015, 9:25 pm   #29
hannahs radios
Hexode

Not much hope of getting the FM service here I'm in Dorset around 150 miles from London! And beside which I want to listen on my vintage radios so it has to be medium wave. When I was living in Newbury in Berkshire we got bad reception of Radio 1 there was some phase distortion even in the day I think it was a mix of Brookmans Park and Fareham 1053 was stronger but also had worse fading presumably Droitwich and Washford mixing.
Closed Thread