UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jan 2014, 3:34 pm   #41
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Could VHS VCRs become collectible one day far away in the future?

Exactly, hence the fall in the price of vintage radios in the last decade, and the increase in price in Dansettes etc. over the same period.
Old 27th Jan 2014, 3:36 pm   #42
Restoration73
Nonode

I would only consider an early machine that could offer 405 record or one with stereo
linear sound (hi-fi) although some of the later HQ machines could give good pictures.
Why not consider keeping a S-VHS recorder? Most can play VHS tapes, and using
SVHS tapes (even ordinary tapes with JVC VHS-ET function) you will notice
picture quality in excess of a DVD recorder with stereo sound.
Old 27th Jan 2014, 3:38 pm   #43
FERNSEH
Dekatron

I'm certainly keeping my Ferguson FV39S S-VHS machine.

DFWB.
Old 27th Jan 2014, 7:03 pm   #44
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Recorded twenty-three years ago on VHS and still perfect.

DFWB.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1990VHS.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	88338   Click image for larger version

Name:	1990VHS2.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	88339  
Old 28th Jan 2014, 1:34 pm   #45
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I still have three working VCR's in our house. Downstairs hers is a 15 year old JVC, mine is a nice Panasonic which is between 10 and 15 years old. In my workshop I have got a 10year Toshiba which gets used on a regular basis.
I think any surviving VHS VCR's will become highly collectable in 10-15 years time, maybe less. The most collectable of these will be the early JVC/Thorn top loaders and my favourite the Panasonic NV333 which in my opinion was the first VHS machine to give a good quality picture that was as good or better than the best offerings from the Betamax or Philips stables. Some of the later VCR'S that first started to incorporate Philips auto tracking feature may also become desirable for future collectors.
Old 28th Jan 2014, 2:06 pm   #46
bobbyball
Octode

Must admit I have a fair collection of VHS machines (amongst other things!!)

I suppose the most "esoteric" are the professional or semi professional machines I have, some are plain VHS but several are S-VHS. A lot of these machines have come onto the second hand market over the years as studios and the like "went digital" and the analogue stuff got dumped (often literally). Whether these machines will have any value anytime soon is anybody's guess but they certainly perform well when working properly and would have cost a mint when new. They are complex beasts however with much more to go wrong so this may count against them.

Some of the best early mechanical type machines have to be the National NV8600/8610 series. They always gave a really good picture - far better than the JVC machines, and were mechanically more robust. What lets them down is the long slide switches that switch the record/playback functions but these usually respond to a good clean. Well worth preserving. No idea about future value however.
Old 29th Jan 2014, 7:18 am   #47
GLENZ32
Hexode

Interesting reading everyone elses thoughts on this matter and what old vcrs members are hanging on to.
I am in the same camp and boat on this as these old machines are worth hanging onto.
They are not all that collectable yet but one day they will be. I have a number of old video machines such as the NV8610 NV7000/7200 NV2000 NV850 etc couple of JVCs HR7700 and HRD140 a Sony open reel vtr and some others including betas like the Sanyo VTC9300 and Phlips VR2020 etc..there are more I just can't think of them right now.
I used to fix these things on a daily basis and feel that some are worth saving. They were made in a time where technology was advancing and they hold an historicial example of evolution in this area. Yesterday's vcrs are todays medias hard drives.
Cheers Glen
Old 29th Jan 2014, 10:03 am   #48
IanNVJ35
Heptode

Last year I aquired for free a broken Panasonic NV-HD660 (1996). It had actually only been used for about 3 hours to review CCTV footage but then was mothballed. The drive gear had failed and it was heading for the skip.

After fixing it it struck me what a nice balanced VCR it was. Metal K deck, amorphous heads, excellent picture and easy to use. To me, it represents what a good quality 'mature' VCR should be. Whilst I have some S-VHS decks, this plain VHS deck seems like it is almost as good picture-wise but does not have all the S-VHS complexity.

So my main deck is 18 years old - amazing where the time goes to. I still use it for timeshifting the few programes I want to watch later. The picture quality really is very nice (on CRT anyway).
Old 29th Jan 2014, 11:12 am   #49
mark pirate
Dekatron

It seems a lot of us still use our VHS machines on a regular basis.
The machine I use most is a Toshiba SD-23VB DVD/VHS combi, given to me by a friend after his dog ate the remote
Both picture and sound quality are surprisingly good, recordings from Freeview and Freesat are also very good, even when viewed on my 42" Plasma.

Even though I have several PVR's, I still record programmes I really want to keep on VHS, as I know they will last for years.
The same cannot be said for DVD or HDD.

I for one will continue to use VHS for years to come.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100147.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	88384  
Old 3rd Feb 2014, 11:36 pm   #50
AnthonyG
Retired Dormant Member

I have two, a JVC s-VHS machine from circa 2000, and a 'portable' Panasonic NV-180 from the early 80s (the one with the separate AC adaptor). The Panasonic in particular feels very well made and still demonstrates a good picture.
As for video tape, I had the impression that, stored correctly, good quality tape would outlast DVDs , or DVD-R in any case.
DVDs themselves are now old hat to a generation used to streaming media, iPlayer and Netflix, and I think BluRay has rather missed the boat because of this shift to 'non-physical' media.
Old 4th Feb 2014, 11:39 am   #51
Tim
Dekatron

If they do it will be right after I dispose of all mine.....................
Old 4th Feb 2014, 5:51 pm   #52
mark pirate
Dekatron

I have noticed that the early VHS machines are starting to fetch more money, but working Betamax machines are fetching more still.
I was watching a Sanyo VTC5000 that was new in it's unopened box, it fetched over £300
So I will be keeping mine safely stashed away!

Mark
Closed Thread